• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Hello all. I was posting here about a month ago regarding my father getting SSDI. He went to his Disability Doctor's Appointment on September 19th 2004.

Now we are just curious how long it will take until he gets any kind of a response back from them with a denial, or approval?

I've heard some people say 3 months - but I've also heard longer.

Thanks so much!

- Kari

R

ren225

The time varies greatly, depending on how hard our gov't wants to work. You can go to you local congressman and ask him to get involved on your behalf, but all I had gotten when I did that was a rejection letter about 8 days later. Never give up though, always appeal a rejection letter, at first pass they are looking for things to be able to turn you down on, that is there job as explained to me by my own S.S.D.I. Attorney and some posters on this site. Upon my appeal I had recieved a fully-favorable decision less than 1 month from being rejected.Good Luck

Ren225 - I am happy to hear that you were eventually approved! And only 1 month after being denied!

I am hoping that we hear something before the new year! My father's situation is almost getting desperate.

Thanks for your reply!

- Kari

Tell your lawyer

Kari, does your dad have a lawyer representing him? If not, get one. They only get paid if he is approved. Tell your lawyer the financial situation your dad is in and he may qualify for a hardship case - meaning his case can be pushed to the front to be considered right away. I've read of this happening several times for people in dire circumstances (no money for medicine, losing their house, utilities all being shut off, being evicted, etc.). Good luck!

R

ren225

If you already have an Attorney I would hope it is one that strictly deals with S.S. cases, if you don't have one make sure the one you are looking for does S.S. soley you'll have a much better chance of winning . Your lawyers request would help expidite your case also, but I would still suggest your local Congressmans office to help expidite things also, but remember that it's about 2/3rds of claims that get turned down on your initiall application. If he does get turned down appeal it immediatally and don't fret about it. The second time around people with more credentials look at it. In my own case they had an ALJ (Advocate Law Judge) hold a hearing for my case and I didn't even need to be there the history and reports were good enough to make the decision in my favor.

Good Luck To You

tigger22472

karihager1982 said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

Hello all. I was posting here about a month ago regarding my father getting SSDI. He went to his Disability Doctor's Appointment on September 19th 2004.

Now we are just curious how long it will take until he gets any kind of a response back from them with a denial, or approval?

I've heard some people say 3 months - but I've also heard longer.

Thanks so much!

- Kari

What has your father's caseworker said about this? It benefits to be in touch with the caseworker weekly, or if she/he says 30 days, call on day 31. I don't suggest attorney's being involved until the stage right before the judge, as A. that takes the longest part and B. until then they go strictly on the merit of the paperwork. In our case the attorney got over 3,000$ of well needed money for doing nothing more then contacting SS and telling them he represented my husband.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">