• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee Manual Ethical?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jsledz

What is the name of your state? CO

My employer has imput this into the company guidelines manual:

Agreement to Arbitrate Disputes

The undersigned employee understands that in consideration of my employment with Company. I hereby agree that any and all controversies or claims arising out of or relating to my employment with Company shall be settled by arbitration in accordance with the American Arbitration Association Employment Dispute Resolution Rules and shall be subject to the Colorado Uniform Arbitration Act.
Both parties involved in the dispute will mutually agree upon the individual chosen to arbitrate the dispute. The decision or award of the Arbitrator made under these rules is exclusive, final, and binding on both parties, their beneficiaries, executors, administrators, successors, and assigns.

Employees who choose to use the arbitration process to resolve a problem will be expected to share the cost of the arbitration proceeding with Company.

They have this in the footnotes:

The guidebook and any verbal statement by management are not an express or implied employment contract.

They expect me to sign the following immediately:

Employee Acknowledgement
Acknowledging Review of Member Policy & Guideline Book

I acknowledge that the guidelines and procedures for Comapny have been reviewed with me as outlined in the Member Policy/Guideline Book found on the extranet. I understand that I am to become familiar with its contents as it outlines organizational guidelines, my responsibilities and benefits.

I further understand that my employment is terminable at will, so both Company and I remain free to end our work relationship at any time with or without reason.

I also understand the Guideline Book represents brief summaries of company guidelines which are subject to change without prior notice. Therefore, the Guideline Book may not be all inclusive all the time.

Finally, I understand that nothing in the Guideline Book creates an expressed or implied contract of employment between Company and me.

Finally my question,

am I giving up my rights for a trial? Is this ok to sign?

JETX

jsledz said:
am I giving up my rights for a trial?
Trial for what?? You would be giving up the right to file a lawsuit against the employer for "any and all controversies or claims arising out of or relating to my employment with Company" and to resolve them in arbitration.
However, I doubt that would apply if your claim has to do with FEDERAL laws.

Is this ok to sign?
If you anticipate any legal processes pertaining to your job, no. However, if you want to keep your job, yes.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In my state, arbitration is mandatory. The language you quote is fairly standard.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">