• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wanting some Information Before Joining

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nicksnavy

I live in ths state of Indiana. I have a five month old son. As a single parent, I know i have to relinquish custody of my son in order to join. HOWEVER!!! this is where it gets tricky, i spoke with a recruiter and they said it was possible to recieve custody back once a permanent duty station is established, and also prior to the enlistment time is up. ALso is Joint custody something i can look into or does it have to be full custody?

Shay-Pari'e

I just read your other post, and to tell you the truth, no one is privy to your custody orders with Bio-Dad(if there even is any, because you stated he was not on the birth certificate and pay's no support, and is military himself.)

First of all, do not just listen to a recruiter when this is a serious issue regarding your child.

Your whole situation is a mess, nothing is legal or court ordered, (I am assuming). Your childs father could come right back into your life and do a DNA and want him.

Joining the military right now is the worst decision you could make, and until you get with a attorney familiar with military law, I would not make that step.

I am familiar with military law, and you need an attorney.

N

nicksnavy

I am not concerned about nicholas' father trying to obtain custody. However, If i do join and sign custody order with my mother, with appropriate causes stating i can have him back when the military authorizes, is there a possiblity of regaining custody prior to the completion of the enlistment time? It is not my intention to go into this situation blindly, or ignorantly, thats why I am asking for an information on this i am also obtaining legal counsel for this situation. However, My sons father is pushing for reconcilliation, which also is a possiblity and even if that happens, with both parents being in the military, custody would not be obtainable by either of us. I was looking into joint custody in this situation or is the only option full custody?

Shay-Pari'e

nicksnavy said:
I am not concerned about nicholas' father trying to obtain custody. However, If i do join and sign custody order with my mother, with appropriate causes stating i can have him back when the military authorizes, is there a possiblity of regaining custody prior to the completion of the enlistment time? It is not my intention to go into this situation blindly, or ignorantly, thats why I am asking for an information on this i am also obtaining legal counsel for this situation. However, My sons father is pushing for reconcilliation, which also is a possiblity and even if that happens, with both parents being in the military, custody would not be obtainable by either of us. I was looking into joint custody in this situation or is the only option full custody?

You are all over the place. You need to retain an attorney.

(Quote)custody would not be obtainable by either of us.(Quote)

Neither one of you are thinking of this child.

Last edited:
N

nicksnavy

OMG! How DARE you tell me that I'm not thinking of my son! ok the reasoning of us not being able to obtain custody is because he is also in the service in the marines preparing to be shipped to Iraq, so there for he is unable to obtain custody either. However if my sons father wanted to obtain custody after he is discharged i dont mind, he is a great father to my son. However, I would like to know the proper steps to make this legal, and if you can't answer some of my questions, then dont sit here and judge me! THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN JUDGE ME IS GOD! SO CHILL OUT AND LET HIM DO HIS JOB!

Shay-Pari'e

Here is your other thread where you claim Daddy is not on the birth certificate and not paying support.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=750271#post750271

Let me make you aware of something, the fact that your childs father is in the military does not keep him from getting custody of his child.

You are still all over the place with your facts. Your son is a new born and no, I do not think you are thinking of him.

If neither of you can get custody, how can you give custody away?

carofl93

nicksnavy said:
My sons father is pushing for reconcilliation, which also is a possiblity and even if that happens, with both parents being in the military, custody would not be obtainable by either of us. I was looking into joint custody in this situation or is the only option full custody?
Who gave you the idea that with a military parent custody is not obtainable?
My husband is military and even before we married, we had custody of his son from a prior marriage while his mom was in rehab. We also got primary physical custody of his daughter and he is still active duty.

S

slaveofthegov

I believe that as a single parent in the military, all the government requires of you is that you have a "family careplan." This is just like it sounds. You must make arrangements for your son to be taken care of in times when you cannot do it yourself. It is that simple. Of course the military will allow you to have custody of your son. It sounds to me like either someone told you, or you seem to think that you will give up custody when you go to Basic Training or on Deployment. That is not true, and I do not believe that you need a court order giving your mother custody during those times. If you have custody of your son now, you will still have custody of him while you are at Basic, he will just be living with the person you appointed as his guardian. As for after Basic, once you finish AIT, you will be sent to your permanent duty station. Your orders should reflect that you have a dependant and the government will pay for him to re-locate to your location. If your mother has legal custody then he cannot be included on your orders. There are things like powers of attorneys that could possibly be what you need to explore. But since he is a child, you will have to fill out a "family careplan." You need this not only for when you get deployed but also for when you spend a month or two in the field doing training. Deployment is easy, just send him back to your mother (or whomever is guardian), field training is more difficult b/c you must have a friend at your location willing to keep him, or your mother will have to come over to stay with him.

Last edited:
the thing to signing coustody over is that the army says that you can do that as long as you dont plan on getting coustody back right away after bct and ait, they say that this is illegal, and your not supposed to do it

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">