• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

20 yrs old, caught shoplifting. losing sleep over this! scared out of my mind.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

g1223

What is the name of your state/

I am from Los Angeles, California.

I am 20 years old. I was caught shoplifting at Urban Outfitters. I walked out of the store wearing the merchandise under my clothes. 30 dollars worth. I bought other merchandise ($97) but thought I could get away with walking out the store with clothes without the sensor tags. As I walked out, the alarm went off. One of the employers stopped me and asked to search my purse. Nothing was found. The store manager came and took me to the backroom. She asked if I shoplifted. I denied. Finally I admitted. She later took me to another room. I was asked to fill out a form that asked for my address and my signature. The form was to admit that I had shoplifted at the store. She also asked for my social security number. I was hesitant to tell her but I was really scared. She said she must call the police for my arrest because I am not a minor. After much pleading, she did not call the police. However, she gave me a notice stating that I will be fined and will not be allowed in Urban Outfitters for three years. Basically I am being sued by the store. She said there will also be a record of this when the police does a background check.

I am really scared and I don't know if there are any other huge repercussions. Is it true it will be on my record even though the police was not called in? Will future employers see this record? How much will the fine be? Will this be cleared after I pay the fine? I have never done anything like this before. I am really scared. I've learned my lesson big time. Never will I do this again. Please help. Thanks.

M

mkmoore

A friend of mine works as a secret shopper who catches shoplifters and says there's only one of three ways they can really go about this:

1) They will do nothing, however I doubt you will ever be able to shop there again.
2) They could make you pay a civil restitution in addition to the amount of merchandise you stole, which varies from state to state.
3) They could prosecute but since the police were not told I don't believe that will happen to you.

M

mkmoore

g1223 said:
Thanks.

Will there still be a record though?
If they don't file it with the police, just at the store I'm pretty certain.

aj4321

Hi....i was recently involved in a very similar situation with urban outfitters. Did they sue you?

-thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">