• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible Navy Spouse Identification Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MissingMiranda

What is the name of your state? Florida, spouse is in WA state. Military spouse for 15 years.

Well, this is a very long and complicated tale but I will be as brief as I can and only mention what I need.

My spouse left me two and a half years, he was and is still active Navy(I'm not asking about the adultary issue). He took my daughter and his girlfriend(including her 3 daughters) across country to his new duty station. I have tried to plead my case to the Navy to no avail(the master chief, the ombudsman, the chaplain........now they ignore me and I was told he could be with his girlfriend , in a nutshell I was left with absolutely nothing, not even clothes( but really isn't the issue here now).

I have tried to contact my daughter numerous times also, spoke to her on the phone often until about 6 months ago, then no luck. (really has no bearing but the time frame is important).

I have kept tabs on where they are ect just to not lose my child and work on bringing her back to FL. Recently I found out they are living in Navy Housing .....yes, my husband, daughter, his girlfriend and her three childern... I know he can't legally be living with her on Federal property being married to me still. So basically how are they doing it unless she is posing as me? I've thought maybe some how he obtained a divorce illegally(in talks with IRS right now, someone forged my name on taxes so he's not above doing something sneaky, :x)....or married her without the benefit of divorcing me? I have no idea, I am confused.

When I spoke to my daughter before, she informed me that her father's girlfriend and he tells everyone she is his wife, which really I didn't think much of, he is the type to "keep appearances" and would say something to that order.

In essence, I need help.....I have tried the Navy, I have support orders(ignored of course), emails, everything I could think to do. How do I find out if she has stolen my identity, or divorce papers were forged? He did not renew my ID card so I can not go to Navy Legal ect.......

Someone help?

Last edited:

tubeguy

Here are a couple of things I would suggest:

1. Write a letter to his commanding officer and explain your circumstances. Not the command Master Chief, or his division officer, but the CO of the base, ship, squadron, etc. that he is assigned to.

2. Contact the Naval Criminal Investigative Service and tell them your story. Here is their website: http://www.ncis.navy.mil/ I am certain someone will get back to you. There is a "contact us" button on their website. If you are located in a city with a Navy base, you will probably find a local branch of NCIS on base. I would also contact any local NCIS office that you can find.

3. Write a letter to your local congressman or senator explaining your situation. Nothing will get a commanding officer moving quicker to investigate a situation than a congressional inquiry passed down through the chain of command.

Good Luck!

tubeguy
(retired naval officer)

M

MissingMiranda

Thank you so much for your reply, my Congressman was next to contact but it seems to be a big step but a very necessary one. I will also try that Navy web link you suggested and email base housing directly(now those people are harsh, lol)

I got caught up in the "good ole boy" network at his command, it happens..........they won't give my messages(I called approx. once every 2 weeks, not every day so I wasn't making a pest out of myself.

Sincerely,
Jeannie

tubeguy

Jeannie,

I recommend that you write the commanding officer of your ex's unit instead of calling. Letters addressed to the CO are time and date stamped when received and pass through several hands before they land in his in-box. So, there is a trail and other people have seen the correspondence. That makes it a lot harder for anybody to ignore. I honestly don't think that you have been in touch with the right people because it is very unusual for a commanding officer to ignore something like this when it is brought to his attention. He has too many years invested in his career to take a chance on ignoring something this serious on his watch. I assume your ex is an enlisted man since you mentioned talking to the command Master Chief. If this is true, his good ol' boy network will most likely stop at the officer level. Another reason for writing letters and keeping a copy of all correspondence is so that you can prove everything you've done when you finally do find somebody who will listen. Document everything you do very carefully.

By the way, the NCIS website has a page dedicated to exactly this subject... theft identity. If your spouse is, indeed, allowing his girlfriend to assume your identity, as you allege, then he is committing a crime. She would have to have a military dependent's ID card just to get on base and into base housing!

Again, good luck and follow up every phone call with a written letter. Maybe even try sending your letters by registered mail so somebody on the other end has to sign for them and you will have a record of who received the correspondence.

tubeguy

carofl93

Jeannie,

Don't be afraid of taking the big steps. The worst that can happen when you contact your congressman is that he/she will direct you to another person who can help. We're pursuing a different matter with the Navy (my hubby's ex married a navy enlisted man who is allowing her to not work or pay her child support), and we have found that the most direct route is to contact the Commander of the Ship and the Commander of the Base. With this being a big election year, your congress/senate member will jump through hoops to help you in the hopes of gaining another vote.
Another thing you may want to do is get a credit report on yourself. If she has indeed taken over your identity, she may be getting credit cards issued to herself in your name.
And another thing you need to check into is the custody of your daughter. You should have been heard by his superiors when you hadn't been able to keep in contact with her. Try adding something about that to the letters and such that are going to the NCIS. No branch of the military likes to hear about things like that and he will get called on the carpet for that...believe me...my hubby's ex's new hubby got in knee deep when they were hiding my stepdaughter out.
I hope you get this all straightened out soon!
Carol

badapple40

Agreed with above. Perhaps you should call him before you call NCIS and inform him that since he insists on pursuing what he is doing, you'll be forced to call NCIS. I suspect that with his career and military retirement on the line, your bargaining position is a bit different. Treat any phone call with him like it is recorded, and so don't threaten or blackmail.

One you open the NCIS door, especially if he is perpetrating a fraud against the government, he is likely to find himself before a court-martial, and likely to end up with some jail time and at least a bad conduct discharge. Unless you want him in jail, that may be a route you may not want to take until you see if you can work it out with him.

M

MissingMiranda

Thank you everyone!

Tubeguy: I think you are correct when you say I'm not contacting the right people........I get his "friends" and the command Master Chief wrote me back saying I was a liar and it's not business who he lives with, which I don't care my life is so much better without him but it's the injustice of all this.

Carol: Thanks for the words of support! I'm hanging in there and doing everything I can.

Badapple: I haven't personally spoken to him for a very long time and never say much, always know he is "taking notes".

Some background info: I was hospitalized Easter of 2002.....while in the hospital he moved out our rental home and took my daughter and moved into nearby apts. He was served eviction notice for non payment of rent on our home while I was in the hospital.(of course I have all the papers to prove my hospital stay, eviction ect) I got out, no where to stay, no items at all. ,my mother took me in. When I say no items, I was left without even a pair of underwear, LOL.

I then went to Navy Relief who gave me a coupon for the commisary to help out, Navy Legal drew up papers saying he was liable to give me some support.

Back and forth with the Navy, over and over about things.......neverending story there.

Three days before Christmas same year he calls me and says he just got orders to Bremerton, WA( I'm in FL) and has to leave immediately. Okay.........right......The Navy transfers you across country, packs you up and moves you, your daughter, g/f and her 3 kids in one day. This is what he expects me to believe. I went to our court that same day, was told there was no such thing as temporary custody and nothing I could do besides physically taking my daughter to prevent her going across country. At that time I didn't feel kidnapping my own daughter was in her best interest, it probably was, looking back.

Six months ago he has ceased all contact with my daughter and I. I had a lawyer going through custody here but it got too much for me to handle, paid the $3,500 down then he wanted much more and I simply don't have the resources.

I never got support payment and really don't care about that in the least, I don't care he has a g/f and "stepkids". I didn't cause any waves until he blocked contact with my daughter. To be frank, he could do anything he wants, I want my daughter and to not see her or talk to her is absolutely killing me. My two older daughters graduated this year, with honors, both with full scholorships and Miranda wasn't here to see.

Take care all, :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">