• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to get a lawyer to file the decree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shakes

What is the name of your state? Michigan. This is being filed on behalf of a friend. His words "The divorce hearing was August 31, 2004. It was asked of me that I wait until 10-1-04 to file the decree with the court so that her medical insurance would not run out. The court demanded that the decree be finalized within the first week of October. To this day the decree has not been filed by her lawyer. Nor will he return calls to my lawer. Although we understand some things have happened in the lawyer's life, heart attack, mother died, vacation, too busy, etc., (seems it's always something, this has been going on for over a year), how can I make my wife's lawyer file the papers? Is there any recourse if I pay to have them filed myself? Can costs be recouped?

Is it true that if this is not done in 90 days the divorce proceedings thus far are null and void?

Thank you.

S

Shakes

Please Help!

His lawyer is sitting on her thumbs. We need some help. Please. Does he need to find another lawyer? Will some one please respond. Timing is becoming critical here.

Thank you

This is a follow up as of 10/27/04. Apparantly no one feels like this is worth responding to. I will give you all the information I have at the moment. The answer to my original question..."How can I make the lawyer file", is. . .NOTHING. She can not get her own lawyer to file the papers any faster than we can. "He's too busy", (taking vacations).

"Is the experation period 90 days". If the papers in question are not filed by Monday November 1st, is NULL AND VOID. Now whether that is a two week period beyond the court ordered date, or 60 days from the judgement, I'm not sure.

Why hasen't Mr. Baker, (her lawyer, and I am naming him now!), been charged with Contempt of Court? Beyond me, but he hasen't. The ex even wants the thing filed, but she can't make him do it either. I guess when you make upwards of $150 an hour, you want to milk it for everything you can.

New questions - How can you keep this thing from going on and on and on for years? She wants it filed, He wants it file, how do you stop lawyers from charging excessive fees to do a simple job? (Oh, Just answered my question as to why no lawyers would answer my question didn't I!)

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Shakes

Posting a reply to bring this to the top again

read previous post.

BlondeIntel

I know someone who had a similar problem. The spouse did not pay the lawyer so the lawyer refused to file the paperwork. My friend got a lawyer to petition the court to go ahead and finalize the divorce. I don't know all the particulars, but if no one else answers, I'll try to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">