• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Yet another fence question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bpgar

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I have read every "fence" and/or "property line dispute post going back to July and I still have a question, so please bear with me.

My wife and I currenty reside on property that she and her now ex-husband formerly owned and lived on prior to their divorce. About 15 years ago they constucted a fence near what they thought was the property line on one side of the yard. Our new neighbors recently questioned the property line, fence placement, and fence ownership. They were told by the people who sold them the property (not the people who owned the property when the fence was built) that the fence belonged to them. A survey has determined that the fence is definately on the neighbor's property. I would like to take down the fence and move it completely onto my property so there are no questions of who has access to, or responsibility for the land between the fence and the true property line. Can I legally do this? Any possible complications you might forsee or suggestions you can offer would be much appreciated.

HomeGuru

bpgar said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

I have read every "fence" and/or "property line dispute post going back to July and I still have a question, so please bear with me.

My wife and I currenty reside on property that she and her now ex-husband formerly owned and lived on prior to their divorce. About 15 years ago they constucted a fence near what they thought was the property line on one side of the yard. Our new neighbors recently questioned the property line, fence placement, and fence ownership. They were told by the people who sold them the property (not the people who owned the property when the fence was built) that the fence belonged to them. A survey has determined that the fence is definately on the neighbor's property. I would like to take down the fence and move it completely onto my property so there are no questions of who has access to, or responsibility for the land between the fence and the true property line. Can I legally do this? Any possible complications you might forsee or suggestions you can offer would be much appreciated.
**A:eek:nly with the fence owners permission since the fence belongs to the neighbor.

B

bpgar

confused???

I really appreciate your quick response, and from reading a number of your answers to other posts, I feel I can believe your advise, but I am confused. If my wife and her "X" paid for, and built the fence, why would you feel that the neighbor owns the fence?

BelizeBreeze

bpgar said:
I really appreciate your quick response, and from reading a number of your answers to other posts, I feel I can believe your advise, but I am confused. If my wife and her "X" paid for, and built the fence, why would you feel that the neighbor owns the fence?
This statement:

" A survey has determined that the fence is definately on the neighbor's property."

HomeGuru

bpgar said:

**A: oh, I don't know. Maybe I took a lucky guess. Maybe I took a 50/50.
Maybe even because the survey indicated that the fence is on the neighbors property therefore the fence belongs to the neighbor.

BelizeBreeze

HomeGuru said:
**A: oh, I don't know. Maybe I took a lucky guess. Maybe I took a 50/50.
Maybe even because the survey indicated that the fence is on the neighbors property therefore the fence belongs to the neighbor.
Good guess :D:D:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">