• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overhanging Pine tree limbs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

Volkzwagnman

What is the name of your state? SC

i last night went out and cut the limbs overhanging my property from the neighbors pine trees that were killing off my grass.
The lady called he police on me and said i was killing her pine trees.
I tried to tell her that i had the right to do so that they were overhanging my property.
The police officer never spoke to me and left her house without making a report for her.
She left and went got film and came back taking pictures and such so i am figuring that she wil try to sue me now for damages or destruction of private property or something crazy.
She asked me over a year ago if i would clean the mess up that she would have the trees cut down or would like to have them cut down but over a year has passed and i took it upon myself to cut them the rest the way off my property since my grass wont live in those areas which was a huge area across my yard and the limbs were huge themselves.
She tried to tell me that i was going to be responsible if i killed the trees and such to cut them the rest of the way down.
Sounds like me she's trying to get something for nothing.
She was very hateful about it and got another neighbor involved and such.
I look for someone to serve me with papers next day or so or maybe even today?
I called my lawyer and he said that she shouldnt have a case that if they were on my property that they were my responsibility.
That was my thoughts as well or i wouldnt have went and cut them loose very tiresome work.
I am seeking legal advice on this from another lawyer also today.
Weighing out my options here.
Its really sad though that i own the property and cant cut them back but she can kill my grass, and continue me to have to clean up the huge deposits of pine needles.
Her grass btw is very green & well seeded.
Can someone give me some diffrent views on this.
Was i actually in the right here?
thanks
Vw

BelizeBreeze

If she shows up with a camera to take photos of the 'damage' wear your best shirt and slacks. Or overalls and holding a pitch fork.

She doesn't have a case unless it's dementia.

JETX

Volkzwagnman said:
She tried to tell me that i was going to be responsible if i killed the trees and such to cut them the rest of the way down.
You have the right to PROPERLY trim any branches or limbs that extend beyond the property line onto YOUR property. Simply, if your 'trimming' causes injury or death to the trees, you will be responsible. However, if your trimming does not injure or kill the tree(s) you won't. Considering the hostility and apparent likelihood for litigation, I suggest you contact a professional tree trimming service or surgeon and get someone out there ASAP to review the work done and provide an 'expert opinion' as to the trimming and any potential damage. Also, take LOTS of pictures yourself of the current condition (and should have of the pre-trimmed conditions).

V

Volkzwagnman

thank you both for your replys

as far as the trees go i would have cut them down for her if she would have provided the chain saw and the sweet tea no problem at all ,but people just cant seem to be nice it seems and jump the gun.
She was really hateful about it and i told her to do what she thought she needed to and go ahead and get it out of her system.

The trees looked like death anyways and most of them were already dead where sometime go the power company came out and chopped the tops out of them cause they are running right under the power lines.

they looked like a hurricane or tornado had already ripped them to pieces and looked awful but my whole point was that they were killing my grass and causing me extra work.
I honestly think that she doesnt want to pay to have them cut down and is now trying to get me to cut them down for free.

I did however take photos of these trees as she did and it clearly shows the property stake and where i cut them back.
I cant myself afford to hire anyone to come out and inspect them for any reason.
If that ws the case i would of hired a tree man to cut them for me.
I lost my job due to lay off last year and havent the funds to do such a thing.
I was just trying to better my own property was all.
Someone suggested to me (a friend ) to put some tree tar on them cuts so that it would bandage them but there again the fund$ issue it is just not there for anything extra.

I am burning the mess off also so honestly i should be chraging her for my time and labor yet i didnt think that was fair cause once again i thought they were my responsibility hanging on my property.

i sure hope this doesnt get longed out into court.

Btw when she was taking pics i did smile real big and stuck my hands up and said cheese which i think made her even madder as she stomped off back to her humble little home mumbling.
VW

Last edited:
V

Volkzwagnman

HomeGuru said:
Oh brother not another one.
guru please explain if you will>?
not another hateful neighbor?
not another thread as this one?
not another what?
thanks
VW

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">