• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife moved out of our apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

borkko

What is the name of your state?-NJ
My wife has moved out of our apartment and signed a lease at another place of residence. Althou only my name is on the lease we are married. I cant swing all the bills. Is my wife responsible for any of our bills,rent,etc?

LdiJ

borkko said:
My wife has moved out of our apartment and signed a lease at another place of residence. Althou only my name is on the lease we are married. I cant swing all the bills. Is my wife responsible for any of our bills,rent,etc?
If your name is the only one on the lease and the utilities, then she has no legal obligation towards those bills. She may however be obligated towards other bills if they were incurred during the marriage (ie, credit cards, loans).

If you are having trouble swinging things talk to your landlord. If you are in an apartment complex the landlord may let you downsize to a smaller apartment.

BelizeBreeze

borkko said:
What "BILLS" are you talking about?

JETX

LdiJ said:
If your name is the only one on the lease and the utilities, then she has no legal obligation towards those bills.
And of course, that is NOT correct. If the writer can show the court that there was an existing promise or obligation for her to be PERSONALLY responsible for those bills (and others), then she could be held liable for her breach. However, if this was a 'marital' obligation or without any specific agreement, then your post would be correct.

LdiJ

JETX said:
And of course, that is NOT correct. If the writer can show the court that there was an existing promise or obligation for her to be PERSONALLY responsible for those bills (and others), then she could be held liable for her breach. However, if this was a 'marital' obligation or without any specific agreement, then your post would be correct.
He specifically asked if it was a marital obligation. That is why I did not comment on "contractual" issues. Also, since it is highly unusual for a landlord not to require that all adults in a household be parties to a lease, there is a strong probability that he signed the lease prior to living with his wife.

However, even if he could prove a contractual obligation that isn't going to solve his immediate problem. He has no means to compel her to pay any bills that are solely in his name without the expense and delay (maybe a very long delay) of taking it to court. That's not going to get his rent and bills paid NOW.

BelizeBreeze

LdiJ said:
He specifically asked if it was a marital obligation. That is why I did not comment on "contractual" issues. Also, since it is highly unusual for a landlord not to require that all adults in a household be parties to a lease, there is a strong probability that he signed the lease prior to living with his wife.

However, even if he could prove a contractual obligation that isn't going to solve his immediate problem. He has no means to compel her to pay any bills that are solely in his name without the expense and delay (maybe a very long delay) of taking it to court. That's not going to get his rent and bills paid NOW.
Originally Posted by borkko
That's interesting. And where did he do this?

JETX

Yep, 'ldij' can't even recognize the FACTS of the post and yet somehow manages to make things up. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">