• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

COOP fees - do I have to pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

expatriatewoes

What is the name of your state? NJ

Hi - I've been consistently late paying my coop monthly fees because of cash flow issues - the coops are empty and I live many states away now. I am sole owner. The coops have no mortgage. In May, I recieved a letter threatening foreclosure on my property if I didn't pay the fees they would start foreclosure. I paid the fees and protested because I've been charged for 2 garage leases that I never signed for the past year. The coop attorney charged me $150 per unit for attorney fees + a late fee. I asked for mediation and refund for misbilled garage fees by email. I never received a response.

Q1: Can I recoup the attorney fees ?
Q2: Can I still get a mediator
Q3: Was the board attorney supposed to refer the state mediator to me?

Second issue - I was late in payments again, this time I was locked out of my online billpayment service because they had technical issues. I received a notice on 10/10 for 9/27 stating that the attorney had sent me a letter in August stating that my 'lease' would 'expire' on Oct 4th if I didn't pay the coop fees. This time, he added fees of between $350 and $2500 per unit !!

I paid these fees when I got the notice at my po box on Oct 15 (and after I fixed my billpayment service).

Q1: What does 'expired lease' mean?
Q2: Is it legal for him to charge me $2500 and is this recoverable in
landlord tenant court?
Q3: Can he foreclose on my coop - I don't have a mortgage?
Q4: He mentioned something that they'd continue to bill me and I wouldn't
be able to rent out my coops because my lease was expired and I
'forefeited' my property to the coop - how can this be?
Q5: Would any of this affect my credit - honestly, I'd love the property to
be sold by auction - it would solve so many problems since I live so many
states away. My properties are empty. I'd just want a reserve on it.

Thanks

HomeGuru

expatriatewoes said:
What is the name of your state? NJ

Hi - I've been consistently late paying my coop monthly fees because of cash flow issues - the coops are empty and I live many states away now. I am sole owner. The coops have no mortgage. In May, I recieved a letter threatening foreclosure on my property if I didn't pay the fees they would start foreclosure. I paid the fees and protested because I've been charged for 2 garage leases that I never signed for the past year. The coop attorney charged me $150 per unit for attorney fees + a late fee. I asked for mediation and refund for misbilled garage fees by email. I never received a response.

Q1: Can I recoup the attorney fees ?
Q2: Can I still get a mediator
Q3: Was the board attorney supposed to refer the state mediator to me?

Second issue - I was late in payments again, this time I was locked out of my online billpayment service because they had technical issues. I received a notice on 10/10 for 9/27 stating that the attorney had sent me a letter in August stating that my 'lease' would 'expire' on Oct 4th if I didn't pay the coop fees. This time, he added fees of between $350 and $2500 per unit !!

I paid these fees when I got the notice at my po box on Oct 15 (and after I fixed my billpayment service).

Q1: What does 'expired lease' mean?
Q2: Is it legal for him to charge me $2500 and is this recoverable in
landlord tenant court?
Q3: Can he foreclose on my coop - I don't have a mortgage?
Q4: He mentioned something that they'd continue to bill me and I wouldn't
be able to rent out my coops because my lease was expired and I
'forefeited' my property to the coop - how can this be?
Q5: Would any of this affect my credit - honestly, I'd love the property to
be sold by auction - it would solve so many problems since I live so many
states away. My properties are empty. I'd just want a reserve on it.

Thanks

**A: Look, hire an attorney like you should have done months ago.

E

expatriatewoes

I need to see if I have a case first. If I can handle this through coop mediation which i think is a requirement in NJ why do I need an attorney - the mediator guy will enforce the law especially if the coop is misapplying it no?

Also, I wonder if I can't go to landlord-tenant court for this.

Also, I just would prefer to first get some info on *any* of my questions - or at least be pointed to some resource that I can research.

HomeGuru

expatriatewoes said:
I need to see if I have a case first. If I can handle this through coop mediation which i think is a requirement in NJ why do I need an attorney - the mediator guy will enforce the law especially if the coop is misapplying it no?

Also, I wonder if I can't go to landlord-tenant court for this.

Also, I just would prefer to first get some info on *any* of my questions - or at least be pointed to some resource that I can research.
**A: why do you need an attorney? Geez, hello............read your other thread about proprietary leases that you never got back from your current non-responsive attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">