• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I overreacting? Do you feel angry too?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pipipig

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

Well, I am not talking about a lawsuit. I am asking your opinion regarding if I am overreacting or it is as outrageous as I feel about it?

Here is the story.

I cut my figure when cooking and my husband rushed me to Kaiser, where the doctor in ER fixed my figure with some stitches. Before he applied the surgery, he injected anaesthetic, DIRECTLY into the cut, I was in such a pain that I almost fainted. Afterward, I asked about it, he said if he injected around the root of my figure, he would have to wait "twenty minutes" before the anaesthetic takes effect. But that's the root of the figure, the cut is around the tip, what if he injected around the cut, instead of directly into it, I guess it may take less than 5 minutes, but for the sake of saving his precious 5 minutes, he put me through this frightening experience I think I would never forget in my life.

I am thinking about talking to his supervisor about it because I don’t want this happen to other people. I also want to suggest my friend/co-worker to drop Kaiser. But before I do anything, I want to hear opinions from this forum.

J

joeyblow

Here are my thoughts:

A digital nerve block (injecting "around the root") hurts like hell. It doesn't have the gross-out factor of injecting the wound, but you probably wouldn't have enjoyed it much more. Plus you would have had to wait an extra 20 minutes.

Injecting around the wound doesn't feel much better, especially with fingers. The further you get from the wound, the more tissue you have to inject to get a complete block. Lots of nerve endings in fingers, you know

Injecting into the wound hurts like hell, plus it creeps people out. But, it works quickly so you and the doctor can get back to watching TV or whatever.

Painwise, the best thing is to apply a topical anesthetic. We do it with kids all the time. It takes forever to work, but if the laceration isn't too deep you can sometimes place sutures without any additional anesthesia. Or, if further anesthesia is needed, it is much less painful to inject.

Nitrous oxide or intravenous sedation are also options to make you more comfortable, but not often used except in hysterical head cases.

Clean knife cuts often don't even need sutures if the wound edges naturally approximate well. Some Dermabond or SteriStrips stuck on with Benzoin and a little tube gauze may be all that's needed.

You live in CA. Just smoke a joint and have few drinks before you go to the ER next time and you'll hardly feel a thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">