• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transaction with a Personal Check Deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jajd

What is the name of your state?:confused: :confused: I would like to know if I gave a seller of a marine boat a personal check as a deposit for the purchase of said vessel, but now three days after, I do not wish to complete the transaction, am I liable? The facts are as follows: (1) It was a verbal agreement with no contracts or documentation signed. (2) The personal check is from a Flordia bank where I reside. (3) The state in which the transaction occured is Massachusetts. (4) The amount in which the check was written out to was $2500. The total amount was to be $13,500 leaving a balance of $11,000. I have placed a stop payment on the check. Please provide any advice or comments...thank you. My email is [email protected] :confused: :confused:

djohnson

You agreed it was a deposit. A deposit is to hold an item. He is entitled to at a minimum his costs. I would contact him and see if you could work something out. Because there is only a verbal agreement that would be his word against yours, he may or may not win the total amount if it went to court. However, if you stop payment on it, he can prosecute for the total amount. I would suggest talking to him, see if he will settle for relisting fees or something along those lines. That is just my opinion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">