• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can this be handled?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tonkatoy

What is the name of your state? Texas
My brother was killed in a carwreck Thanksgiving Day 2002. My family has asked local attorneys if anything can be done,but noone wants to touch it because of conflict of interest.(having worked for the funeral home at one time or another)
He was pronounced at the seen of the wreck & picked up by a well known funeral home in our town.He was taken to a larger town for the autopsy,by the driver sent from this funeral home. It being a holiday noone was there to let him in & he was apparently given the access code to the garage of the morgue.He(the funeral home driver) threw my brother out on the floor of the morgue garage,unzipped the bag & went through it, apparently looking for items of value. My brother was found face down on the floor in a puddle of blood, with no form of identification on him(toe tag,paperwork).He was left there overnight. The coroner had to use the identification number on the neck brace to find the county he came from,just to get his name. This is all noted on the autopsy report,by the coroner & has been noterized. Because of being left face down for almost 24hrs,his face was distorted & flat. It's bad enough my family was having to deal with his loss,but to know that this person had no respect for the dead is unforgiving.
The funeral home & the Justice of the Peace who pronounced him knew of this.Noone here in this town wants to help with this because the funeral home's owners daughter is a district court Judge. Is there anything that can be done about how my brother was left like a piece of garbage on the garage floor? Is this "malpractice" and deception by the funeral home? Or is this called something else? Any help would be appreciated.

J

joeyblow

Just a general observation:

The driver is an inconsiderate a$$hole. Your brother is dead.

Assuming you can find a basis for a lawsuit, this would serve only to drown you and your family in a sea of negativism and contention. It will be protracted, stressful and unpleasant. In the end, win or lose, the driver will still be an inconsiderate a$$hole and your brother will still be dead.

What is the point?

T

tonkatoy

Read again & put your loved one in my brothers place.

Apparently you don't grasp what this family has been through. The funeral home was entrusted with him & paid a heck of a lot of money & his body is treated in this manner?? They are responsible for the actions of this attendant. Would you want someone in your family treated in this manner? Left on a floor,& just say "oh well, they're dead,doesn't matter how they are treated now?" What if your loved one was thrown out in this fashion ,having no facial injuries before,& lets say a rat or some other animal chewed on them?
This should not have happened & someone should be liable.
This does hurt & it does bring up bad memories,but to know that this person & funeral home can just get away with doing this,without anything being said or done about it is worse. I want them to know they can't do this,so it doesn't happen to someone elses loved one.
There should have been someone at the morgue to let the attendant in & take over from that point.Noone should have given out the code to the morgue. The coroner dotted every I & crossed every T, he went into great detail on how my brother was found,because HE knew that this was all wrong & that someone should be held responsible & he covered himself by doing his job correctly. The funeral home & their attendent(driver) are the ones that should be held accoutable for this.

tonkatoy

Go outside the local area and talk to a lawyer about this. That is the only way you will be able to get an attorney since most of them have done business with the funeral home. My guess is that your time to do anything legal might be up since all of this took place back in 2002 but you might still have time. You could always take all your information against the funeral home and the attendent and talk to a newspaper/ T.V. reporter and see if they will do a story about how they treated your brother's body if you can't find a lawyer or if your time is up. I wouldn't go to the newspaper or T.V until I called every lawyer in the phone book first.

Forget about Joeyblower. If it was his brother he would be doing the same thing that you are. You can not worry about dumb a$$ people that don't have anything better to do with their life then make other people feel bad about a lost love one.

vrzirn

I do wonder why it has taken you almost 2 entire years to work up all this righteous indignation. Now surely, it has come to your mind to go out of the area to consult another attorney. No matter, unless you want to spend the better part of several more years pursuing this I suggest you just lay it to rest. Remember good things about your brother.

vrzirn

I do wonder why it has taken you almost 2 entire years to work up all this righteous indignation. Now surely, it has come to your mind to go out of the area to consult another attorney. No matter, unless you want to spend the better part of several more years pursuing this I suggest you just lay it to rest. Remember the good things about your brother because this issue will only bring more pain and NO money.
I guess you could cause some unpleasant publicity by going to the media. But, they may not even be interested. Besides, if you brother was drunk and the accident was his fault, that will not be pleasant for you.

T

tonkatoy

Fyi

Did you read this?? We have tried looking for a lawyer here & surrounding towns. The "Good Ol' Boy" system is at work here & noone wants to go against them.
By chance we found this site in hopes of getting info.
WHY would you assume HE was drunk??! My brother was KILLED by a drunk driver,who ran a red light, TYVM !!!
If you could read & comprehend what you read,maybe your reply would have made sense.Try Sylvan Learning Centers..they seem to help people with reading problems.
Thank you to the others with the helpful replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">