• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepdad's been draining trust funds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state?Texas
I am trying to help my son's girlfriend who is 20 and a college student. Last night she found out that her stepfather is having an affair because her 17 year sister went to answer his cell phone and it was a girl that they had gone to school with. she checked his inbox nad read all the incriminating text messages (saved them and forwarded them and copied his cell phone records). Also followed him. Guy has a violent temper and a history of bilking the girls college funds and trusts. The girls want to tell their Mom but are afraid if she confronts him he will drain the accounts and run. I advised my son's girlfriend to call Fidelity Investments (where the accounts are) and see if she can freeze or red tag the account. They said they can't unless the Mom Calls and changes the password because it is a custodial account and only she can do it or it can be done by computer and passcodes (hence the problem, because the stepdad has the pins and passwords). The Fidelity people said that money can be removed by computer access also and advised her to talk to her Mom. We know the Mom is just going to freak and go hysterical but won't do anything on the account access. What can the girls do and can they force Fidelity since she is over 18 with a judge or lawyer. They want to get the money secured before they tell the Mom and show her the proof. Sorry for the long posts. Any thoughts out there?

I'll answer my own question. Took her to see a friend whose a judge and he advised short of a lawyer, Mom's going to have to be the parent and secure the money since she is guardian until a divorce. Next step, decide how to break it to Mom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">