• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbor dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chloekat66

What is the name of your state? Michigan
My neighbor was walking down her property line and noticed that her new neighbor that lives on the other side of her had put up invisible fence dog wire along what she believes is her property line. She immediately went to her neighbor and told her she would appreciate it if she would remove the wire and was told no that the man she had bought the house from told her she could put it there. A verbal argument ensued and the homeowner that put the fence up turned her dogs loose on my neighbor who happens to be terrified of dogs. My neighbor waited a couple days and then cut the wire that is on her property and threw it back on the homeowners property and posted no trespassing signs. Last night the homeowner came to me and told me that they had called the police on her and that she could possibly go to jail for cutting the wire. Is this true, can they have her arrested for this? What is the proper way of handling a dispute like this, who do you go to for help?

HomeGuru

chloekat66 said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan
My neighbor was walking down her property line and noticed that her new neighbor that lives on the other side of her had put up invisible fence dog wire along what she believes is her property line. She immediately went to her neighbor and told her she would appreciate it if she would remove the wire and was told no that the man she had bought the house from told her she could put it there. A verbal argument ensued and the homeowner that put the fence up turned her dogs loose on my neighbor who happens to be terrified of dogs. My neighbor waited a couple days and then cut the wire that is on her property and threw it back on the homeowners property and posted no trespassing signs. Last night the homeowner came to me and told me that they had called the police on her and that she could possibly go to jail for cutting the wire. Is this true, can they have her arrested for this? What is the proper way of handling a dispute like this, who do you go to for help?
**A: first, the homeowner needs to be sure of the exact property boundary location via a current boundary survey. Once that is verified, then take the next step depending upon where the dog wire is located.

C

chloekat66

My neighbor has a three surveys that show that is her property, the homeowner that she is having trouble with admitted to me he has no survey and is going strictly on what the seller of the home told him at the closing. What would be the next step after the survey as far as how to clear up this matter? Is my neighbor right in cutting the wire and throwing it back on their property? If not what would be the next step. The homeowner told me that they are going to put the wire back up and she will just tear it down again. They say is she does they will have her arrested. I just don't want to see her get into trouble over this and I want peace in my neighborhood. I would like to see them resolve this pleasantly. I feel both of them are in the wrong but both of them think they are within their rights and I see a long neighbor feud going on. If you could give me some advice that I can recommend to them. I did recommend to the homeowner that they should go to a mediator to try to remedy this problem.

HomeGuru

chloekat66 said:
My neighbor has a three surveys that show that is her property, the homeowner that she is having trouble with admitted to me he has no survey and is going strictly on what the seller of the home told him at the closing. What would be the next step after the survey as far as how to clear up this matter? Is my neighbor right in cutting the wire and throwing it back on their property? If not what would be the next step. The homeowner told me that they are going to put the wire back up and she will just tear it down again. They say is she does they will have her arrested. I just don't want to see her get into trouble over this and I want peace in my neighborhood. I would like to see them resolve this pleasantly. I feel both of them are in the wrong but both of them think they are within their rights and I see a long neighbor feud going on. If you could give me some advice that I can recommend to them. I did recommend to the homeowner that they should go to a mediator to try to remedy this problem.
**A: The neighbor can't have her arrested for cutting a wire on her own property. Also this would be a civil matter anyway. You are correct on the mediation, have her check into neighborhood mediation service etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">