• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JConly

What is the name of your state? Texas

I have left employer to join another employer. My former employer won't allow me to cash out, withdraw, roll over my old 401K to my new one. Claims that since the former employer is owned by the new employer they never considered me to "have left the company" although all their correspondence shows may status as "resigned". In effect they have frozen my old 401K funds. Can't contribute to them nor cash it out. Any help is much appreciated.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is quite true that if you are still considered to be under the same employer, you cannot have your 401k plan distributed in any way. This is part of the law.

If company A owns company B, AND their benefit structure is connected (which may or may not be the case) and you quit company A to go to Company B, it is entirely possible that they may be unable to legally release your 401k funds.

Whether or not this applies to you, specifically, is not something we can answer on the basis of the information available to us.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">