• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bifurcated Divorce in VA! Please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

IWantDivorce

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I live in Virginia. I have been married for 6 years and I have a minor child.

I understand that there is a bifurcated, change of status divorce. Since I am not interested now in child custody or property division, any suggestions on how to obtain this will be appreciated.

Also I was wondering if bifurcated divorce is allowed in Virginia. and if mutual consent is required for bifurcated divorce?

Thank you so much,
Regards,

LdiJ

Do you mean that you will never be interested in a property division or child custody? Or are you simply in such a hurry for a divorce that you want to deal with those issues at a later date?

You should probably consult an attorney.

cyana24

Yeah...I am interested in your response as well. My ex wanted and received a "bifurcated" divorce. My permission was NOT required, but that may depend on the laws of your state. He wanted to quickly remarry without having to deal with those pesky, time consuming issues of CS/custody, alimony, property division.... :p

I

IWantDivorce

LdiJ ,right now I am interested to remarry fast and deal with other issues later. Thank you Cyana24 for your input. May I ask in which state this happened for you? Thank you so much,

Shay-Pari'e

There really is a simple answer here. Have your attorney file the motion for this. Depending on the background of this divorce proceeding, the judge is the only one that can grant it. You do not need mutual consent, just a clear convincing reason.

cyana24

IWantDivorce said:
LdiJ ,right now I am interested to remarry fast and deal with other issues later. Thank you Cyana24 for your input. May I ask in which state this happened for you? Thank you so much,
Pah-leeze, IWANNA, did you not detect my tone? Without court orders for CS/alimony and property division in place my teenaged children and I were left with very little money for six months. I struggled to pay two hefty mortgages on very limited income and still feed my growing teenagers who ate like starving wolves as typical teenagers do. But I did it and I'm damned proud of it. Couldn't sell the house until the property division. Meanwhile my ex and his new well to do wife were touring Europe. My son, now 19, hasn't spoken with his father in well over a year. My ex hasn't worked a day since he was remarried a little over two years ago. I am the last person who will help with your bifurcation goal. Talk a lawyer.

I

IWantDivorce

np if u dont wanna help cyana24 ,sorry for upseting u. i need a bifurcated divorce because of some visa issues.i'll continue helping my wife in everyway and my child..so please dont even dare compare me with your husband.bye

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Why don't you do things the logical way? Settle the necessary issues, get the divorce, and only then start thinking of remarriage. Seriously - if you're still married, the last thing you should be thinking about is the next one. :rolleyes:

cyana24

Apology accepted, IWant. Seriously though, a bifurcated divorce typically ends up with a party to the marriage ending with a shorter stick (it could be the one who sought the bifurcation or it could be the other party), although it may be unintentional. In my case, I was very seriously screwed, and I am sorry if I took my annoyance out on you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">