• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Education Costs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Karen Mayes

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? UK

My partner recently left his company in the UK and moved to Republic of Ireland to live & work.

The UK company paid for him to do a Masters which he now has to pay back. He has proposed a payment plan as the amount is £5000 but they are now saying they want the amount in full.

If he refuses to pay in full and go ahead with making monthly payments can the company take him to court. Also would they actually be able to take him to court now that he lives it the ROI and that their legal system is nothing to do with the UK?

Regards

KAM

Last edited:

Beth3

While this site deals excusively in U.S. laws, I can tell you that in the States, the employer certainly could sue the employee for the amount they are owed. Given that U.S. civil law is based in British common law, I imagine it would work just the same in the U.K. Moving to Ireland doesn't relieve him of the debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">