• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

USAF responsible for wrongful death?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jillosophy

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

Husband was 20+ year active duty vet. who committed suicide while being treated for a long history of job related stress, depression\alcoholism. He was supposed to be being monitored and attending counseling and AA. He had not been attending either and was not being actively monitored by his C.O. or by his base appointed counselor. He was close to retirement and had several job offers. Everything seemed to be going well at home also. He came home after shopping and shot himself in the head.

After an investigation by the USAF they granted survivor benefits, education, insurance, etc.
The official report stated; due to a long history of alcoholism, job related stress, depression, and mental unsoundness the survivors were due benefits.
Normally, in cases of suicides, the survivors do not receive any benefits of any kind.

Are there grounds here for a wrongful death suit?

stephenk

Sorry, but no.

you mention that he had stopped his treatment and attending AA. did you know he had stopped? Had he resumed drinking? Was he on any type of medication? was he receiving therapy?

carofl93

I don't want to seem like a total B, but if you knew he wasn't attending his counseling and AA, why didn't you go to his CO? My hubby is active duty AF with almost 20 years in, who also suffers from depression. I know when he has appointments, and I know that he takes his meds, and if that were ever to stop without some sort of explanation, I would be on the base post haste to get someone with more authority to jump on him.
Depression and alcoholism are diseases that don't just affect the person suffering from them...they affect the whole family and others that interact with the afflicted.
I wish I had some sort of advice to offer, but I don't. My heart does go out to you for your loss.

badapple40

You cannot sue the Air Force for this. They have immunity under the Feres doctrine (Feres v. United States) which forecloses suits brought by service members/their families for injury/death to service members.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">