• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal ending of written contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vpalmer

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

A contractor working for our business verbally gave 30 days notice and told me that she could not work for us anymore. We asked for 60 days and they complied. We have signed another contract for another contractor, and now the person who quit is saying he never said anything and that we have to honor the contract. Can you quit and then say you didn't, and should the contract still apply?

Thank you

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

vpalmer said:
What is the name of your state? New Jersey

A contractor working for our business verbally gave 30 days notice and told me that she could not work for us anymore. We asked for 60 days and they complied. We have signed another contract for another contractor, and now the person who quit is saying he never said anything and that we have to honor the contract. Can you quit and then say you didn't, and should the contract still apply?

Thank you

My response:

Since the contract was in writing, why couldn't you place the termination in writing, signed by both parties? Makes sense, right?

Well, your contractor never quit, and now you're in Breach of Contract. And, he'll use the above as a defense.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">