• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander and Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

redpatch

What is the name of your state? Ca

Can slander charged be filed in the middle of a divorce?

My best friend is in the middle of a nasty divorce and her soon to be ex is making all kinds of false accusations. He's stating that she's addicted to painkillers, anti-deppressants and that she's an alcoholic. He's stating that he needed to bring her to the ER because she was overly intoxicated. I read the ER report (I'm an ER nurse) and her toxicology screen was comlpetely negative. She didn't even have a legal amount of alcohol in her. All of his claims are staged, and can be disputed by her medical records (which she and her ex both have). So when this is over can she file slander charges against him? She's a teacher at the junior college in town, and these accusations would affect her career. The ex is also claiming that her father is an alcoholic, although there is nothing to indicate that he is either.

We know that he's fishing for anything to nail on her, but this is getting out of hand. He's pretty much making anything he can up. What can we do to prevent this??

Thanks!

BelizeBreeze

The simple answer is no. She has no claim for slander.
He could call her a drug-infested whore who charges $.25 an hour too. :D

BelizeBreeze said:
The simple answer is no. She has no claim for slander.
He could call her a drug-infested whore who charges $.25 an hour too. :D
Once again, another bitter comment from Mr. Breezy. Give it a rest.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Except BB"s right. A slander suit isn't going to go anywhere. People say all sorts of things during a divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">