• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal agreement gone sour

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

skylarksixfo

What is the name of your state?Oregon

I began working for a start up company a few months ago as a creative director. Because it was start up and I knew this person, I agreed (verbally) to work for the promise of a future career with the company.

The only thing I recieved in return for my services was a laptop. It was my understanding that the laptop would be mine after I had worked for the company for a certain amount of time. Until then, it was stated that the laptop would be property of the company. There was no formal agreement, no contract. We said we would work out the details later but we never did.

6 months later, with no warning or prior negative feedback, the person tells me he does not want to work with me anymore. He also wants the laptop back.

I feel personally violated by this action. This was aperson who I considered a friend. Do I have any legal position here? Should I just give the laptop back? The thought leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Please help!

Thanks,

David

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">