• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Any suggestions?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

carrieanne

What is the name of your state? SC

A good friend just called me very upset. She is almost eighteen years old. Her father died almost two years ago. She doesn't get along with her mom and has lived with her well-to-do paternal grandmother since then. It seems my friend had a falling-out with grandma over spending money and her friends convinced her to apply for her survivor benefits - something the grandmother had never done because she considered it a form of "welfare."

Apparantly her mother had applied for those benefits already and has been receiving them for nearly two years. Needless to say, my friend knew nothing about that and has never seen a penny of the checks. The mom claims to have them saved in the bank but has yet to provide any proof of that.

My question is - what now? My friend is afraid to report her mother - she doesn't want her to go to jail or anything - she just wants her money. Does anybody here know what the government will do if the mother can't produce the money?

Thanks in advance,
CarrieAnne

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">