• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another easement question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

omymichelle

What is the name of your state?CA In 1978 we purchased a parcel from the local school district. This piece of property is approximately 145' x 125' and is directly behind my lot and the neighbors on either side. The street in front of our house is the first street inside the city limits. Between the neighbor to the east and the next house is what was originally laid out as an alley and shows as such on older subdivision maps. When we purchased the property we still believed it to be an alley or right of way that the school district was using for access to property further behind the lot they sold us. This "alley" which has never been paved but has the cutouts exactly matching the paved city maintained alley across the street is the only access we have to this property. The neighbor to the east watered and mowed this section but there was never any problem or discussion about our occasional use for access. The neighbors have passed on and the house was sold. The new owners informed us that they owned this property and I searched the County records and found that indeed the school district had sold this alley access to our original neighbors in 1974 before we ever bought the back parcel. Of course the new owners are being jerks and tonight they called the police after they parked diagonally across the alley and I was forced to squeeze between their truck and house to get out from back. I knocked before I did so to see if I could get him to move his truck but they wouldn't answer the door. Was I trespassing as he charged? We don't use this access every day only occasionally. The school district or the city put a new water main in this "alley" this summer that provides water to the little league field that butts up against the back lot. I would suppose this to mean they must have some sort of easement. Is there anything I can do to prevent them from denying me the only access to this property? Sorry this is soooo long but I wanted to get as much history as I could to you?

BelizeBreeze

Without a full examination of your neighbor's and your deeds, including any easement rights, the only thing we can tell you here is to hire a RE attorney to do a review. If, in fact, there is no easement recorded, you're in a world of doo doo.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">