• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bankruptcy Crime

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JLoren21

What is the name of your state? Florida

My grandmother, a seventy-six year old resident of Florida, recently had a bankruptcy hearing with a Chapter 7 Trustee. As she is elderly, my mother attended the hearing with her. She received a life insurance payment i/a/o $2693.19 as a result of the passing of my grandfather. She received this payment after she filed for bankruptcy. Because I take care of her finances, knowing that her social security direct deposit that goes into a joint checking account we maintain in NY would not be sufficient to pay her bills I asked that she please send any additional checks she received to New York (my residence) to deposit. Not realizing that the life insurance payment she mailed to me belonged to the estate she endorsed it (as did I) and I deposited it into an individual account I maintain at the same financial instiution. I then transferred the funds to our joint checking account (for medical bills & a car insurance payment). Lastly, the bulk of the money was kept in an individual savings account I maintain there because I wanted to separate it from our joint checking and allow it to earn interest (we had not had the time to add her name to this savings account). I have bank statements justifying that $800.00 of this life insurance payment went to medical bills and will send the Trustee the bank statements as she so instructed, but I am fearful that she will think that my grandmother was attempting to hide these funds. At the hearing the Trustee stated that she could press charges for perjury because my grandmother stated that she did not recall having received this small payment. I am going to forward the Trustee the bank statements, in addition to a bank check for the full amount of the insurance payment, but I want to make sure that (based on the above listed facts ) the Trustee does not chose to proceed with her threat. Any information you're able to give is helpful. Also, there's still the uncertainty as to whether or not the bankruptcy will be discharged...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">