• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

false confession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

traybien

What is the name of your state?
UTAH

A police officer lied and said I confessed to him. I did not. Do they need corroborating evidence, or will it be my word against his?

CdwJava

traybien said:
A police officer lied and said I confessed to him. I did not. Do they need corroborating evidence, or will it be my word against his?
Impossible for anyone to say without more detail.

If ALL the evidence is a confession that a crime took place, that will not be sufficient. But, I suspect there is some evidence that a crime occurred or the officer would not have been talking to you.

Speak with an attorney.

- Carl

Last edited:
T

traybien

Still Utah
some drugs and paraphernalia were found on the floor of my house in a common room. I have teenage daughters with lots of friends in and out. My hubby called pd and turned it over to them. They brought me in for questioning, let me go (I was clueless), then a month later arrested me on a warrant for those charges. The cop's report says at the time of questioning I admitted they were mine etc. etc., but I did not. He did not record this or have any witness, nor mirandize me.

Last edited:

CdwJava

Miranda was not necessary since you were not in custody - as evidenced by the fact that you were able to leave. And, yes, it may come down to your word against his. He might have heard something you said and interpreted it as an admission of knowledge.

You really should speak with an attorney because the charges may include child endangerment or something similar.

- Carl

T

traybien

Utah
The charges do include child endangerment, I have spoken to the public defender, I do not have much confidence in him, he seems very inexperienced and not very knowledgable. Of course there is more to the story, (like my husband and I are splitting up, he was a cop for 26 years, friends with the cop who is telling the lies etc. etc.)

Thank you Carl very much for your time. One more question. I know in Utah they cannot compel spouses to testify against one another, but what about kids? Can they make my kids testify? Either way, against or for. I don't want them dragged through this.

CdwJava

Yes, children CAN usually be compelled to testify in court. However, there may be limits or restrictions in the Utah courts that I am unaware of.

- Carl

T

traybien

Utah

I was afraid of that! I can't find any info on that here, and my pd says 2 wks ago, "I'll get back to you on that, I'm not sure."

Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">