• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trees and boundary problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hummingbird2

What is the name of your state?Ohio

We bought our property 15 years ago. The neighbor put up a three foot fence on his property. He says it is 4 inches from the property line. He put the fence up because his dogs were attacking ours. When he put the fence up he had to hold our conafir trees back to erect it. There are some branches on his side. He asked if we would trim them and I told him I would check it out. Then in the same breath he said he was going to press charges if we didn't. That made me mad and I have not touched the trees. He then sent a certified letter saying that we have 72 hours to trim them or he was calling a professional to do it and send us the bill. I know the limbs are on his side and he is responsbile for them at his exspense. My question is, If he trims them and kills them is he responsbile for the damage done to the trees?

BelizeBreeze

hummingbird2 said:
What is the name of your state?Ohio

We bought our property 15 years ago. The neighbor put up a three foot fence on his property. He says it is 4 inches from the property line. He put the fence up because his dogs were attacking ours. When he put the fence up he had to hold our conafir trees back to erect it. There are some branches on his side. He asked if we would trim them and I told him I would check it out. Then in the same breath he said he was going to press charges if we didn't. That made me mad and I have not touched the trees. He then sent a certified letter saying that we have 72 hours to trim them or he was calling a professional to do it and send us the bill. I know the limbs are on his side and he is responsbile for them at his exspense. My question is, If he trims them and kills them is he responsbile for the damage done to the trees?
Tell him to pound sand. The limbs hanging over his side of the fence are his legal responsibility.

H

hummingbird2

Thanks for the reply but my question is " Is he responsible for the trees if he trims them and kills them?" Does he have to reimburse us for the trees, if they die atfer the trimming?

BelizeBreeze

hummingbird2 said:
Thanks for the reply but my question is " Is he responsible for the trees if he trims them and kills them?" Does he have to reimburse us for the trees, if they die atfer the trimming?
That's up to a court and/or judge to determine.

H

hummingbird2

Thanks so much for your help. I sure appreciate the helpy as the 72 hours are up Sunday and I want him to eat crow!

nextwife

If you don't want the tree damaged, trim off the dang branch that's jammed against the fence. End of problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">