• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retail Theft of Services

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JaimeFL

What is the name of your state? Florida

Recently I was fired from my job for Theft of Services & Reselling of merchandise for personal profit. I mailed out 5 packages through our FedEx system without paying for them. As for the reselling of merchandise, I bought a gift card with my discount and sold it online. I have had no prior criminal record or any previous negative feedback from ANY employer. The asset protection manager said that I caused damages to the company in excess of $215. He was trying to scare me to admit to stealing other merchandise, but I haven't...he was saying that he'll be researching all my transactions...I did however admit to the package sending and resale of the giftcard...I filled out a statement of witness and that was that. He kept threatening me saying he could technically have criminal charges brought against me if I didn't cooperate...and I did cooperate...but I think he was wanting me to admit to stealing actual merchandise (but again...I didn't)...so he stepped out of the room and brought my manager in to tell me that I was fired. I left the job and have been pretty upset ever since. So what i'm asking is, how will I know if charges are being brought against me??? I've read other posts where people have been driving around with arrest warrants out for them and not even knowing!! I just have this terrible wondering if something else is going to happen to me regarding this, or if my firing was just the end of the whole situation. Should I go into the store and pay the $215 for the loss??

ptlmejo

I wouldn't worry too much. Chances are that if they didn't call the police right there on the spot, they probably won't at all...assuming you pay them whatever restitution is owed.

At the very least, I hope you learned a lesson.

J

JaimeFL

thank you

Amen...lesson learned. I will be paying the money tomorrow just for my own conscious as well.

V

Vojobo

Whats so wrong about the resale of a gift card?
Just wondering.

J

JaimeFL

Resale of Gift Card

Well this particular instance was wrong because there was a policy about reselling merchandise for personal profit that I wasn't aware of...and by reselling a giftcard I violated that clause. They also claimed that I caused the company a loss b/c when an associate purchases a gift card they get their discount on it...so you can actually give a gift card with an X amount without actually having to pay that exact amount. The funny part about this is that they offer the discount on the giftcards to sales associates...you are allowed to give them as gifts....but not to resell as I did.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">