• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents Rights Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AnnieMich

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Michigan
I have a question I am hoping someone here can answer for me about grandparents rights. My late husbands mother has just informed me that she intends to take legal action against me for visitation for my daughter. Even though we have always been on good terms and I have never once denied her the right to see my daughter. She is claiming that she should have the right to keep my daughter on holidays and during the summer etc. I'm not the type of mother who lets my 10 year old visit a state 8 hours away from me, even with my own mother. Can she, even if I have never told her she can't see my daughter, and we visit her on a regular basis have the right to just take my child on holidays and summers? This is the first time she has even brought the matter up to me so I have no idea.

LdiJ

No, she doesn't have that right. In fact, in the state of Michigan (which is where she would have to sue) she currently CANNOT sue for visitation rights.
In the case, DeRose vs DeRose the Michigan Supreme Court struck down Michigan's grandparent visitation law as facially unconstitutional.

The Michigan legislature has attempted to pass a new legislation, designed to meet constitutional muster, but they have not yet been successful in doing so.

Even if you were in a state where it was possible for her to sue, its unlikely that she would get what she wants since you already visit her regularly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">