• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accused of shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

comrade

What is the name of your state? CO

About a month ago I was accused of shoplifting 3 boxes of cough medicine.
I was with these people who were giving me a ride home that wanted to use cough medicine to get high. They had allready purchased the cough medicine and asked me to hold it. We then went to another store because it wasnt the right kind. They gave me $15 and told me if I was able to buy cough medicine that was the right kind I could keep the change. I went in and made sure they didnt have it. When I was walking out a man asked me to empty my pockets so I threw the cough medicine and ran, figuring that if the people in the car thought I was shoplifting they would drive off and I would be able to keep the money. I managed to get away from the man chasing me but the guy who asked me to buy the cough medicine walked into the store gave them all of my information along with my backpack that I had left in the car. A couple days later I received my backpack along with a citation for shoplifting. I called the store and tried to explain this to them but they said it was out of they're hands. Should I plea-bargain or go to trial?

V

Vojobo

As long as you have the receipt for the cough syrup that they accused you of stealing you should be fine. Those were payed for right? You were an idiot for running. You did nothing wrong. And next time leave your backpack in the car hmmmm. If you didnt steal then I see no reason that you should worry about this. Just get the proof you didnt do it.

Good Luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">