• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor Expanding Property Boundaries with Rocks!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

Wheeler22

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I live in a community of small lots. Our lot is 75 ft wide by 100 ft long. Our neighbor has been putting up rock walls, not for retaining purpose, but for decorative purposes on our side of the property line. The neighbor is on our left side. We do have a survey stake in the front. She has put rocks of the natural variety right over on our side of the boundary line, not by much though. (Once she even covered the stake, until my wife told her that was illegal.)

This bothered me at first because she (the neighbor) never asked permission to put the rocks there. There is a retaining wall along certain parts of the property line that has been there for years (we have the higher property), but wherever the land is even on both sides or does not need a retaining wall, the neighbor puts rocks on our side of the property. She has recently done the same on the back left side of the property. The rocks go a foot or two on our property into our boundary there. In a couple of places she has cemented rocks or blocks that start on her side of the line but come across the boundary line (this was not done for retaining purposes). She has also but up a portable shed on her property. This is in the back where we don't have a stake but my “naked eye” suspects this is overlapping on our property and it certainly didn't need to. I want to keep good relations with my neighbor but I also think she needs to respect boundary lines. I don't trust her because she did the same thing to the neighbor on her other side. In the case of the property on her other side, she waited until the house was vacant (while it was in the process of being sold), and cemented down a very unattractive rock wall on their property that borders her driveway.

Any advice on how to regain the property line and to get her to respect it (civilly that is) would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

Get a current boundry survey done that shows any encroachments and once you have done so and can show the encroahments on your survey then go see a real estate atty to get a letter done demanding that either a encroachment agreement be signed or removal of the offending material and let that see how much attention it gets . Either your nieghbor will take care of it or they will risk being sued for the cost of removing it . its up to you how far you take it . your nieghbor might even do the right thing and take care of it if you send them a registered letter with a copy of your findings . You wont know till you try , one thing for sure your nieghbor may not be so neighborly once you take action to correct this .

HomeGuru

Wheeler22 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I live in a community of small lots. Our lot is 75 ft wide by 100 ft long. Our neighbor has been putting up rock walls, not for retaining purpose, but for decorative purposes on our side of the property line. The neighbor is on our left side. We do have a survey stake in the front. She has put rocks of the natural variety right over on our side of the boundary line, not by much though. (Once she even covered the stake, until my wife told her that was illegal.)

This bothered me at first because she (the neighbor) never asked permission to put the rocks there. There is a retaining wall along certain parts of the property line that has been there for years (we have the higher property), but wherever the land is even on both sides or does not need a retaining wall, the neighbor puts rocks on our side of the property. She has recently done the same on the back left side of the property. The rocks go a foot or two on our property into our boundary there. In a couple of places she has cemented rocks or blocks that start on her side of the line but come across the boundary line (this was not done for retaining purposes). She has also but up a portable shed on her property. This is in the back where we don't have a stake but my “naked eye” suspects this is overlapping on our property and it certainly didn't need to. I want to keep good relations with my neighbor but I also think she needs to respect boundary lines. I don't trust her because she did the same thing to the neighbor on her other side. In the case of the property on her other side, she waited until the house was vacant (while it was in the process of being sold), and cemented down a very unattractive rock wall on their property that borders her driveway.

Any advice on how to regain the property line and to get her to respect it (civilly that is) would be greatly appreciated.
**A: yes, get a survey so you can rock and roll.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">