• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

copyright infringement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mikebr

georgia.
Ok first off i received an email from a certain company lets say "Quarter" now the name of this company is a word in the dictionary. Me and a bunch of guys decide to make a site and call it "Quarter Online". (Important note: the name of the company is one word) It is a nonprofit site and have made absolutely no money from the name. Now there are also alot of other people, including 2 bands that use this name that we are unaffiliated with. Actually one of those bands pops up BEFORE the companies site on a search engine. Now i emailed the rep back saying we are more than willing to change the name, have received no profit from using it, and are sorry if we have caused the company any problems.

Heres the exact email he sent with words changed:
"My name is Bobby Brown with Really Cool Finance the legal representative with QuarterT, makers of Quarter. We are writing to inform you of a possible copyright infringement suit for teh use of your name. We will be contacting you via phone through your listed information with approriate governing bodies. You will be hearing from us soon.

B.Brown.

Am i in violation??

Last edited:

Unlikely..

In general, creative works are copyrighted...words are trademarked. It is unlikely that anyone would be able to "copyright" the word Quarter or even register a trademark for the word. You might check the appropriate government web site to see...

M

mikebr

yeah i actually moved this thread to copyright and trademark under "copyright infringement?" read it, its pretty interesting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">