• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medicalmalpratice from pregnancy misdiagnosis

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

keasy516

What is the name of your state? MD

My situation is this. I took my wife to the hospital a month and a half ago for abdominal pain. The hospital did their routine thing and performed a pregnancy test and concluded that she was not pregnant. So they took her to the back to perform a cat scan. Not knowing to us, she turned out to be allergic to contrast dye and had a really bad reaction to it. She had swelling around her face and neck as well as hives on her arms and legs. After they got the swelling down with antibiotics they took her for a chest xray because one of they doctors thought that they had seen something in the cat scan. All results were negative. However, and this is my concern, about two weeks ago she had abdominal pain again so we took her to another hospital and found out that she was pregnant. Not only that but she was as least two months pregnant which means that while she was at the other hospital getting x-rayed and cat scanned she was also pregnant. They seem to have misdiagnosed it. I just want to know what are my options, if any, if my wife has complications birthing or my child has any problems that could have resulted from the x-rays or cat scans. Thanks

Last edited:

ellencee

For the healthcare provider's actions to be negligent, the provider has to know or should know that by performing or omitting an act(s) that significant damages to the patient would result. In your wife's situation, no one knew she was allergic to contrast dye, so no one was negligent in administering the dye; and, a pregnancy test was done and the results were negative. Therefore, the healthcare provider did nothing that is considered negligent.

Your wife should have no problem with her pregnancy or childbirth as a direct result of any of the tests or procedures.

You should, of course, call a medmal attorney in your area for legal counsel in this matter. I'm sure the answer will be the same as I have provided, but you should find out the statute of limitations that will apply as well as receive the opinion of a medmal attorney in your area (the area of the hospital).

Best wishes,
EC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">