• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking close to a fire hydrant ?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

FIONEX

I live in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada).
I got slapped with a ticket of $40 for violation of Bylaw 2003-530 7(B) when I parked on a street infront of my university.

Bylaw 2003-530 7(B): Park within 3 M of a poin on the curb or edge of roadway opposite fire hydrant.

Here's the details:
I find a parking sign on the road that says PARKING <-- -->, which means that I can park right infront of or right behind the sign. So I park on the --> side of the sign and put my front bumper right at it. BASICALLY, I drive an Eagle Vision (like an intrepid), so it's a fullsized vehicle and much longer than a honda or whatever. The point is, my rear bumper turned out to be 1.5 meters from the stupid hydrant rather than 3 meters or so (that's after getting the ticket). And the wierd part is that the fire hydrant is beside a parking lot entrance, which would have permitted a fire truck access to it EASILY.

The point is, should I argue this in court? Do I have a chance of winning? If I do, what should I say? Thank you for your help!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

FIONEX said:
I live in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada).
I got slapped with a ticket of $40 for violation of Bylaw 2003-530 7(B) when I parked on a street infront of my university.

Bylaw 2003-530 7(B): Park within 3 M of a poin on the curb or edge of roadway opposite fire hydrant.

Here's the details:
I find a parking sign on the road that says PARKING <-- -->, which means that I can park right infront of or right behind the sign. So I park on the --> side of the sign and put my front bumper right at it. BASICALLY, I drive an Eagle Vision (like an intrepid), so it's a fullsized vehicle and much longer than a honda or whatever. The point is, my rear bumper turned out to be 1.5 meters from the stupid hydrant rather than 3 meters or so (that's after getting the ticket). And the wierd part is that the fire hydrant is beside a parking lot entrance, which would have permitted a fire truck access to it EASILY.

The point is, should I argue this in court? Do I have a chance of winning? If I do, what should I say? Thank you for your help!

My response:

All that for nothing - - "Questions about U.S. law ONLY."

IAAL

F

FIONEX

Well it's pretty much the same. What difference would it make if the laws are similar. The bylaws of one municipality are different from nearby ones, so just give me a general opinion.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

FIONEX said:
Well it's pretty much the same. What difference would it make if the laws are similar. The bylaws of one municipality are different from nearby ones, so just give me a general opinion.

My response:

No. I have already answered you.

IAAL

F

FIONEX

Thanx for wasting my time to read your lame ass response and thank you for wasting your own time by posting a lame ass response. Please find something better to do with your time because giving an opinion on a public forum is obviously asking too much, although you are willingly doing this :S!?!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

FIONEX said:
Thanx for wasting my time to read your lame ass response and thank you for wasting your own time by posting a lame ass response. Please find something better to do with your time because giving an opinion on a public forum is obviously asking too much, although you are willingly doing this :S!?!

My response:

You're welcome. Next time, learn to read instructions. We don't have the time to answer questions from all over the World. We even had some guy from Lithuania ask a question - - and he was just as indignant as you have been.

Go figure, huh?

IAAL

F

FIONEX

That's really funny... I didn't realize that the states ran completely different different laws for motorists than canada. Espicially concidering that driving liscences from the states are accepted here, and canadian liscences are accepted in the states. To top it all off, the justice system is so similar in terms of concepts (not the actual laws themselves) that your advice would have been sufficient.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">