• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401k vesting question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jm12168

What is the name of your state? Virginia
In the passed year I changed jobs. I was not sure what to do with my 401k.
So I left in my previous companies plan. I recieved plan summeries and was 80% vested now after I left the company the summeries have changed to only 40% vested.Is this legal.
Thanks for your help

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's possible. The money YOU put in is always 100% vested. But the money your employer put in is vested according to the vesting schedule.

So if half the money in the account was put in by employer match and if that money is no longer vested after you left, that would explain the change in the numbers.

J

jm12168

Ok I don't completely understand.I did'nt think they could change my employer match vesting once it was stated that I was at a certain percentage.I'll just take what I have left and roll it into an IRA.
Thanks for your help.

Beth3

If you think there has been an error made in calculating how much you are vested and thus should receive upon separation, contact the Plan Trustee (the investment company who manages the Plan) and ask them to explain it to you.

J

jm12168

Ok thanks I'll try that......Lucy you have some splanning to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">