• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Easy money through Paypal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nausistic

What is the name of your state? TN

I came across this method that seems too easy... basically, you get an email with 5 email addresses (with paypal accounts) in it, and you send $5 (or some other nominal amount) to the #1 address. Then you bump that address off the list and move them up, placing your address in the #5 slot.

Then by the time it circulates around and multiplies where your address makes it to the #1 slot, you'll have a ton of people sending money to your Paypal account. One of the things that they stress to 'keep it legal' is to include 'please add me to your mailing list' when you send the money.

The email suggests you forward it to at least 40 people to maximize your success rate, but I was thinking of sending it under an opt-in (read:NO SPAM) email service instead.

I'm thinking that since I'm technically paying for a service (and the people who send me money would be, also), and that I won't be sending spam to anybody, and that I'll be paying taxes on any income I receive, that I'm in the clear.

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks. :)

Last edited:

racer72

Yep, that's an illegal pyramid scheme. And Paypal is aware of it. Anyone that tries it has all the info turned over to the FBI for prosecution.

N

nausistic

Why is it illegal? Paypal allows donations, and according to their acceptable use policy, "Any structure in which the value of the transaction is significantly greater than value of the goods or services traded is prohibited." If you're paying $5 to be added to a mailing list, I don't see how that would be considered 'significantly' greater than the value.

Last edited:

racer72

You may be spending 5 bucks to get on a mailing list but you will be expecting a return for the money too. That is what is illegal. Google "pyramid scheme" and you will find lots of reasons to avoid them. My question to you, what happens when run out of folks willing to put up $5? Yep, the pyramid collapses. The only people that make money with these schemes are the thieves that start them.

N

nausistic

Yeah, I've been reading up on pyramid schemes, and most have to do with the USPS, or lottery tickets, or other things that don't apply to this system.

Hell, I might try it just to see if it works. If I get even a single return, I'd break even; no harm, no foul. To buy into their "Make $50,000 in a month!" claims would be incredibly stupid. Granted, if everyone played by the rules and sent their fiver to the top of the list, then everyone would come out a winner. But there are too many people out there not even willing to front such a tiny investment.

Thanks for the info. ;)

N

nausistic

If you're not going to offer any advice, why the f*uck bother posting? Nobody cares about your dumb little opinion, dude.

BelizeBreeze

nausistic said:
If you're not going to offer any advice, why the f*uck bother posting? Nobody cares about your dumb little opinion, dude.
Nor yours. Care to delete your post or your membership?

ff3508

nausistic quotes:
"Hell, I might try it just to see if it works. If I get even a single return, I'd break even; no harm, no foul. To buy into their "Make $50,000 in a month!" claims would be incredibly stupid. Granted, if everyone played by the rules and sent their fiver to the top of the list, then everyone would come out a winner. But there are too many people out there not even willing to front such a tiny investment."

Ya I have to agree with jpritchett81, This is plain stupid

MissDallas

I've heard of this

A woman my grandmother knows asked her to be the bookkeeper for a similar scheme. (I call it a scheme because I don't know what else to call it.) A week later, 60 Minutes or 20/20 (don't remember which one) did a story on it. It was called The Gift or something like that. In this version, women recruit other women and they all get together at one house and 'gift' the woman at the top of the pyramid with the cash.

In theory, it sounds great. In reality, hundreds of thousands of people would have to participate to keep it going. Then millions of people!!! And it is illegal. Why? I'm not sure. (not an attorney or anything here) My grandmother ended up passing on the bookkeeping job!

I have participated in similar schemes. One was for kitchen towels, one for stamps, one for panties (yes, new panties) and one for postcards. In each, it was send one of the item in question to the person at the top of the email, then forward the email to 10 people, blah, blah, blah. In the end, it didn't work very well.

Take my advice and stay away from those schemes. They sound great, and while I did get a few kitchen towels and postage stamps, in the end - it wasn't worth the few minutes of time invested!

stevek3

MissDallas said:
A woman my grandmother knows asked her to be the bookkeeper for a similar scheme. (I call it a scheme because I don't know what else to call it.) A week later, 60 Minutes or 20/20 (don't remember which one) did a story on it. It was called The Gift or something like that. In this version, women recruit other women and they all get together at one house and 'gift' the woman at the top of the pyramid with the cash.

In theory, it sounds great. In reality, hundreds of thousands of people would have to participate to keep it going. Then millions of people!!! And it is illegal. Why? I'm not sure. (not an attorney or anything here) My grandmother ended up passing on the bookkeeping job!

I have participated in similar schemes. One was for kitchen towels, one for stamps, one for panties (yes, new panties) and one for postcards. In each, it was send one of the item in question to the person at the top of the email, then forward the email to 10 people, blah, blah, blah. In the end, it didn't work very well.

Take my advice and stay away from those schemes. They sound great, and while I did get a few kitchen towels and postage stamps, in the end - it wasn't worth the few minutes of time invested!
I've always been a major supporter of panty pyramids. Worth every minute invested.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">