• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Delinquent Joint Income Tax Returns

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Michigan Mom

What is the name of your state? Michigan

How can I force my ex-spouse to file delinquent "joint" tax returns - he claims that a refund will be due, but I can't file a 2003 (as single) until the delinquent ones are filed and I can apply the refund (which is to be split evenly) to the 2003 liability. He has the tax records, so I can't complete and file without his cooperation. Can I somehow file 2003 using an "expected" 2002 refund? Can I get a court order requiring him to file?

LdiJ

Michigan Mom said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

How can I force my ex-spouse to file delinquent "joint" tax returns - he claims that a refund will be due, but I can't file a 2003 (as single) until the delinquent ones are filed and I can apply the refund (which is to be split evenly) to the 2003 liability. He has the tax records, so I can't complete and file without his cooperation. Can I somehow file 2003 using an "expected" 2002 refund? Can I get a court order requiring him to file?
If you were also employed during this time you have the option of filing your delinquent returns separately (not joint). You can get copies of your W2s from your employers. Of course, if your tax situation would be complicated or you didn't work, then that may not be your solution.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">