• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charges after final statement for unfinished work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NWright65

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My divorce has been final since Feb 2001. My ex was ordered to pay 1/2 of my outstanding legal fees, which he did after receiving the total balance statement. I paid the remaining amount and thought that I was done.

My ex was expecting paperwork to turn into his place of employment regarding a defered compensation payout, and questioned me as to when that would happen. I placed a call to my attorney to find out when this would happen and he had to review the file to see what I was talking about... This lead to another bill. I questioned the bill, and he knocked the fee down to 1/2 for the service.

I still wasn't happy with it, but seeing as how this had been left udone, decided to ask him if everything that was stated in the divorce decree was done. To which he replied that it was. Apparently he had also neglected to file the paperwork for having child support paid through the court, as my ex is still paying me by check directly.

My questions are: After a Final Balance payment for services, can he charge me for work left undone? If so, would my ex be liable for 1/2 of these new charges as well? I want to point out that there were no changes from the original divorce order to generate these charges, in fact both items were in the agreements and agreed to by both parties from the first draft.

I thank you for your response in advance.
Nancy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">