• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home Invasion and Strongarm Robbery, etc.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

laurenamber

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Hello. Last night, while my fiancee was asleep on the couch, 5 men kicked our front door in, physically attacked and beat him, and robbed him of all of our money by knifepoint. My fiancee got a good look at almost all of the suspects, and he recognized most of them from highschool. After we called the police, a detective showed up with a sleu of officers, questioning us. They separated my fiancee and I, as well as our neighbor. When they questioned my neighbor, they asked him about the "traffic" at our home. I assume he was talking about drugs, but who knows. I also heard the officer tell my fiancee that "things dont add up, and were on to you". We called the police for help, and instead we are being investigated! I am concerned that the police's motive is not to catch the suspects (whom we identified at the police station in a yearbook), but to instead, I suppose, investigate whether or not we sell drugs, which, might I add, is rediculous. Now, after finding one of the guy's pictures in the yearbook, the detective pulled his record (he had been arrested 4 times in the past 3 years for robbery of some kind). The next thing that came out of his mouth was "well, I will see if there is enough grounds to get a warrant". What more "ground" does he need???!!! MY FIANCEE PICKED HIS FACE OUT OF A YEARBOOK!!! We are too afraid to even sleep at our home, so we packed up all of our stuff, plus our kitty, and got out of there. On top of all of that, my leasing office will not let me break my lease, even though there have been many incidences there involving our saftey, in example: my car was burglarized not more than one week of moving in. There is also a drug addict that lives on the bottom floor, and he always knocks on our door asking for cigarettes and beers. My fiancee was once waiting for his boss to come pick him up, and he was assaulted by an unknown assailant (my fiancee DID get the best of HIM, though). In order to break the lease, they want over a grand from us. Our lease expires in December! What is a month and a half early? Pretty much, to break the lease, we will need A LOT OF CASH, because we would have to pay off the apartment, and then have a deposit/1st months rent/application fees for the new place. I am currently paying rent for an apartment that I am now too scared to live in, much less sleep in. My father is freaking out, telling me that the apartment complex should be sued for criminal negligence, and that he wants me to get out now...........what a story. Anyways, my questions here are this:

Do you think justice is being served in this case, as the police are investigating our lifestyle, and not the criminals?

What type of charges can be brought up on the assailants? Home Invasion? Strongarmed Robbery? Conspiracy to commit a felony? Assault and Battery? What else, if you could add to these charges, and if not these charges, then what?

What type of sentences can be put upon the assailants, speaking that they have a record of robbery and assault and battery as a minor, and now they are adults?

Do I have grounds to break my lease? Could I sue the leasing office for negligence?

Finally, my last question would be "WHERE DO I START???" Can anyone help me find out what my rights are, and what is going to happen???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">