• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Good News!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to ALL of you for your help during this process for my father. All of your thoughts, and advice were greatly appreciated, by my father and I!

We have receieved GOOD NEWS this morning!

Someone from Social Security called and informed my father that he was APPROVED for Social Security Disability!!! This good news comes just 1.5 months AFTER his first medical evaluation!

We thought for sure that he would have to get a SS lawyer - but now we don't have to.

I am so happy right now, and my father is even happier. He was literally on the verge of losing A LOT, and now he can finally relax!

Thanks so much again for all of your help! You are all wonderful! :) :) :)

- Kari

rmet4nzkx

Congratulations :D :D :D
This is good news and glad we could be of help. Remember that Medicare doesn't start until 29 months after the start of the disability, I'm not sure what date his disabity started.

I think he became disabled on March 28th, 2004. So I'm thinking he can get medicare right around August 2006 (I hope). Until then, he will just have to pay to see a doctor, and try to keep his sugar under control.

I do have two questions if anyone is able to answer them. Does my father receieve back payments from the time that he became disabled? (Which would have been March 2004). And how long does it *normally* take to start receiving payment for disability?

Once again - thanks so much!

- Kari :)

rmet4nzkx

It can take up to about 6 weeks to receive the first regular payment and he will get a payment for back payments, call the local office and ask to speak to the supervisor of the office and see if they can pull some strings to get it sooner.

Awesome! Thanks for the help!

When they called him - they told him that he would have to come down to the office for something. I'll find out more info when I get off work. :)

Thanks again!

- Kari

Kari,
There is a five month waiting period before benefits begin - meaning your Dad would not be paid for the first five months of his disability, so if he became disabled in March, payments would not begin until September, most likely. So, hopefully he will have at least a month of back pay. I'm so glad this worked out before a lawyer had to get involved. Isn't it sad that we have to get a lawyer and pay them 25% of what we receive when we should have been entitled to it in the first place? There's something wrong with this picture! Best of luck to you and your Dad!
2far

M

monnickasmommy

The best thing you can do is call the 800 # for SS and they can tell you things ALOT FASTER then your local office - His monthly payments and his back pay-

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">