• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Specialized Treatment???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NateDogg3320

What is the name of your state? Nebraska

I have worked at a Hospital for the last 4 years my boss and I have never really seen eye to eye on allot of issues but now we just try to stay out of each others way. Last year he implemented a requirement to attend at least 90% of our monthly staff meetings to recieve our raise and yearly bonus check. When I failed to meet the precentages I did not contest and went about working again only to find out that my co-worker who didn't make it to any of the meetings recieved his raise and bonus claiming that he lived to far away and had another job durning the week. He is now being allowed to skip the meetings and recieve the materials in a written form and as long as he reads them he will be avalible to recieve his raise and bonus next year.
Is this discrimination? Should I recieve my check and raise from last year? If so do they have to pay me back wages? Finally, should everyone be allowed to read the material to quallify for the benefits....thanks so much

Beth3

Is this discrimination? No, because no decisions are being made based on a protected characteristic - age, race, gender, national origin, religion, etc.

Should I recieve my check and raise from last year? Legally, they don't have to.

If so do they have to pay me back wages? Not unless your employer voluntarily decides to.

Finally, should everyone be allowed to read the material to quallify for the benefits.... No laws compel your employer to share this information with everyone.

The bottom line here is that it's not against the law for your employer to make exceptions for some employees from whatever requirements others are being held to. I can't quite tell but it appears you're full-time employee and this other individual is part-time. If that's the case, then it makes some sense for your employer to have different expectations regarding attendance at meetings and the like.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">