• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No agreement signed; should I let go of my lawyer in this situation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IbAlee

What is the name of your state?Texas

My mother was rear-ended several months ago which resulted in a herniated disk. Some doctors have advised that her condition was bad BUT made worse by the accident.

Our lawyer, so far in my view, hasn't done anything. We had to pay over $1000.00 in rental car fees alone and he still hasn't been able to get reimbursed (returned rental car 3 months ago) from the counter-party's insurance. The only derived benefit has been that we have not had to pay about $3500.00 in medical fees because he has a relationship with these offices. But we have paid out of pocket for places that will not accept his "letter" as credit. I know that the claim cannot be closed until the injury is fully treated but this may take months, maybe a year because the injury may require surgery. My mother has been to a chiropractor (no help) and now is seeking treatment from an acupuncturist. Final option will be surgery which we are trying to avoid for health/financial reasons. I'm afraid our finances will exhausted by the time this claim finally settles. Is there a way to get the counter-party's insurance to alleviate this strain by paying for some of these incoming medical bills?

The case is clear-cut countery-party fault (police wrote her a ticket). Should we have not gotten a lawyer? My logic is that this is a pretty simple case but our lawyer will make off with 33% when he really doesn't have to do anything other than haggle with the insurance company (which I feel I can do). We have not signed any agreement; the 33%, the lawyer advised, is standard.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you

p.s. when a lawyer's "not certified by the state board (something, something)" according to their ads, does that mean they are not a real lawyer?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">