• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employer stopped putting in my 401 K

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

peepsight

What is the name of your state? Tennesse
Our Company sent out a letter this week stating that they will no longer match our 401K investments, so they can give us better insurance, most of the workers there only work for the safty net of the 401 K , can they just stop matching us? and say oh well, can we geet our investment out and roll it over into an intrest bearing account or something?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

peepsight said:
What is the name of your state? Tennesse
Our Company sent out a letter this week stating that they will no longer match our 401K investments, so they can give us better insurance, most of the workers there only work for the safty net of the 401 K , can they just stop matching us? and say oh well, can we geet our investment out and roll it over into an intrest bearing account or something?
My response:

Where is your employment contract? What does it say about the 401K plan?

What is a "geet"?

IAAL

P

peepsight

employer stopped putting in my 401K

the contract states that the company will match .50 onthe dollar up to 6% you contribute and are fully vested after 3 yrs. of employment (I have been there 3 yrs in DEC.)

geet = bad typing :)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

peepsight said:
the contract states that the company will match .50 onthe dollar up to 6% you contribute and are fully vested after 3 yrs. of employment (I have been there 3 yrs in DEC.)

geet = bad typing :)

My response:

Are you, perhaps, confusing an "employee handbook" with an "employment contract"?

IAAL

Beth3

peep, this is the critical question. Does the 401(k) Plan Document guarantee that the employer will make a match or is the match discretionary??? If it's discretionary, they can can stop making the match any time they wish. If the Plan Document guarantees the match, the employer has to amend their Plan and file the appropriate documents with the IRS and DOL before they can stop making the match.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And to answer the other part of your question, no, you cannot get your investment out. Under the law, once the monies are in the 401k fund, they cannot be touched except in VERY limited circumstances, none of which apply here, as long as you are still employed by that employer. In order to get your money out of the 401k fund, you would have to quit your job. Then, and only then, you can have your 401k monies distributed. However, unless you roll it over into another qualified fund (an IRA, a new employer's 401k fund) you would have to pay tax AND a penalty for early withdrawal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">