• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a court order you to sell something?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JWilmont

What is the name of your state?NY

Can a court demand and order you to sell something like a plane, or a helicopter or a boat or something of value like that, that was pre-marital property in order to pay for the things the spouse is demanding?

Last edited:

JWilmont

One more question?

Does it matter the value of the item. Like when someone purchased the plane in question it was only worth 5,000 and now it has since depreciated to around 3,000- do they get apprasals... or does it have to be a certain price that it seems worth selling it? PS thank you for your help

BelizeBreeze

Without the full and complete facts of the case (and since you are planning for the future, not a current, ongoing litigation there's no way to know) that's impossible to say.

However, the court can order you to sell any item, regardless of depreciation, cost of the sale, etc., to pay a judgement, including a divorce settlement. You can't get out of the obligation simply because you have no 'marital' assets to sell.

JWilmont

I'm sorry one more question

The person who wanted to sell this was in the process of finding a higher offer than 3,000 but now that he has been served, although no complaint was filed yet? or atleast not recieved, can he still sell the item because nothing is litagating or negotions haven't started yet? Would he have to sell this before his lawyer contacts the other party as their represenitive?

BelizeBreeze

JWilmont said:
The person who wanted to sell this was in the process of finding a higher offer than 3,000 but now that he has been served, although no complaint was filed yet? or atleast not recieved, can he still sell the item because nothing is litagating or negotions haven't started yet? Would he have to sell this before his lawyer contacts the other party as their represenitive?
Again, without knowing the FULL FACTS no one can give you a valid answer. But what I can tell you is that if this 'friend' sells something that the court knows about and it can be shown that his sale was to hide (or convert) the asset, his ass is in more trouble.

JWilmont

Thank you

No, he really is trying to sell it so he can make ends meet. She didn't have any income when she left but he has since lost his job by being downsized and wanted to sell just to try to keep his house for two more months. He is a brother to someone who works here.

Last edited:

JWilmont

sad

We have several people in our small office who are going through divorces, each unique to it's own, I suppose. So some of my questions don't even have to do with the same case. We thought it was easier to just get one ID instead of us all getting one. I mean SEVERAL people going through a divorce. We believe it has something to do with the water :p . Thanks for all your help with this question and the others.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">