• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Delays

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

linsue

What is the name of your state? FLORIDA
I need some help with the following: I went to a final hearing over a month ago. The attorneys in the case were told to type a final judgment and submit it to the judge for signature. My attorney typed the FJ and sent it to opposing counsel for his coordination. Opposing counsel changed it from a 5 page document into a 15 page document, essentially giving false information in the document to substantially reduce my share of assets. My attorney resubmitted it to opposing councel with correct info and documentation to back it up. Opposing counsel gave no response for several weeks. My attorney sent it to the judge with a copy going to opposing counsel and a letter advising that they had 3 days to object. Opposing counsel waited until the midnight hour and filed an objection without stating what the objections were. Now he is unreachable. My attorney says we have to give him time to respond to our requests for information before he can ask for a hearing with the judge. In the FJ we submitted, we followed the judge's rulings to the letter. Now it seems a hearing will be several weeks down the road and in the meantime, I am without health insurance, without my portion of assets and I am still paying all the bills in order to maintain good credit. What, if anything, can I do speed this process along??? Would writing a letter to the judge help? Would going to sit in the judge's office until he can see me for a few minutes and hear my plight help? Can anything be done????

LdiJ

linsue said:
What is the name of your state? FLORIDA
I need some help with the following: I went to a final hearing over a month ago. The attorneys in the case were told to type a final judgment and submit it to the judge for signature. My attorney typed the FJ and sent it to opposing counsel for his coordination. Opposing counsel changed it from a 5 page document into a 15 page document, essentially giving false information in the document to substantially reduce my share of assets. My attorney resubmitted it to opposing councel with correct info and documentation to back it up. Opposing counsel gave no response for several weeks. My attorney sent it to the judge with a copy going to opposing counsel and a letter advising that they had 3 days to object. Opposing counsel waited until the midnight hour and filed an objection without stating what the objections were. Now he is unreachable. My attorney says we have to give him time to respond to our requests for information before he can ask for a hearing with the judge. In the FJ we submitted, we followed the judge's rulings to the letter. Now it seems a hearing will be several weeks down the road and in the meantime, I am without health insurance, without my portion of assets and I am still paying all the bills in order to maintain good credit. What, if anything, can I do speed this process along??? Would writing a letter to the judge help? Would going to sit in the judge's office until he can see me for a few minutes and hear my plight help? Can anything be done????
No, nothing can be done other than what your attorney is already doing. You can't go and sit in the judge's office. The judge isn't permitted to talk to you outside of court.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
linsue said:
Would writing a letter to the judge help? Would going to sit in the judge's office until he can see me for a few minutes and hear my plight help? Can anything be done????
No. No, no, no. The judge will not read your letter, nor will he see you privately. At this point, any communications must be through your attorney. Yes, the process can take a lot of time. But eventually the wheels roll around and it gets done. Just be patient for a bit longer.

linsue

FLORIDA
Thank you both for your replies. I was afraid that just what you wrote would be the answer but, hoping against hope, that something could be done. When this is finally resolved, I will let you know.

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">