• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Photo Radar license plates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gila Monster

What is the name of your state? Az.
Does anyone have any experence with these type of covers? I got one from a web site and installed it. The web site said it should be legal as long as the plate can be viewed unobstructed from behind the car...which is the case. Last week I got a ticket from a State DPS officer for a ARS28-2354B (Obstructed license plate ) $ 80 fine. My question would be should I try to fight this ticket or just pay it. Thanks for any replys...............

CdwJava

Apparently you were cited for not having your plates attached to both the front and rear of the car:

28-2354. License plates; attachment

A. A person shall display the license plate or plates as follows:

1. For a motor vehicle, motorcycle, trailer or semitrailer, on the rear.

2. For a vehicle for which two license plates are issued, the vehicle owner shall display either of the following:

(a) One plate on the rear.

(b) One plate on the front and one plate on the rear.

B. A person shall display all license plates as required by subsection A until their lawful use expires or is canceled or revoked. A person shall maintain each license plate so it is clearly legible. A person shall securely fasten each license plate to the vehicle as follows:

1. To prevent the plate from swinging.

2. At a height of at least twelve inches from the ground to the bottom of the plate.

3. In a position to be clearly visible.

Thus, whatever photo proof thing you attached does not seem to be the issue here.

- Carl

Gila Monster

Thanks for the reply and info....Here in Az. we are only required to have a rear license plate. The Photo license cover does blur the numbers if you try to view it from a top angle. Our photo radar cameras and red light cameras are mounted up high above the road. The plate is completly readable from directly behind the car. The officer said as he passed me he noticed that the numbers blured and gave me a ticket...He also wasent very happy to see my radar detector but there was nothing he could do about that.

CdwJava

Apparently, he presumed you had been issued two plates.

So, what determines if a car is issued only one or two plates? It would appear from the quoted statute that AZ generally issues two plates. And since it says that if they are "issued" (presumably from the DMV) that they must be mounted, I would think that this information would either be available on the registration, or, it is common to do so after a specific date (as is in CA after ... 1973 I think?).

- Carl

A

Arizona Renter

"Apparently, he presumed you had been issued two plates.

So, what determines if a car is issued only one or two plates? It would appear from the quoted statute that AZ generally issues two plates. And since it says that if they are "issued" (presumably from the DMV) that they must be mounted, I would think that this information would either be available on the registration, or, it is common to do so after a specific date (as is in CA after ... 1973 I think?)."

WRONG... Az DMV only issues ONE plate for a vehicle, and it goes on the back... Some states issue two plates.

Apparently the cop issued the ticket under 28-2354 Section B. A person shall display all license plates as required by subsection A until their lawful use expires or is canceled or revoked. A person shall maintain each license plate so it is clearly legible.

And you stated the cop as saying "as he passed me he noticed that the numbers blured and gave me a ticket" which is in clear violation of Section B...

You can try fighting if you want, but I don't think you will win... I'm surprised the officer didn't confiscate the covers...

JETX

With due respect to 'cdw', it appears that he was in error on stating the applicable violation. I agree with "Arizona Renter", the violation was (presumably) due to your violation of:
B. A person shall display all license plates as required by subsection A until their lawful use expires or is canceled or revoked. A person shall maintain each license plate so it is clearly legible. A person shall securely fasten each license plate to the vehicle as follows:
1. To prevent the plate from swinging.
2. At a height of at least twelve inches from the ground to the bottom of the plate.
3. In a position to be clearly visible.

From your own statement ("The Photo license cover does blur the numbers if you try to view it from a top angle"), it would appear that you are in violation of the above.
BTW, all police are aware of the plate filters, etc. out there. If you want to try to circumvent the red light camera's, etc., you should really use the paint as it does NOT obscure or blur the numbers in normal conditions.

CdwJava

I concur ... I read the first "b" or "(b)" and stopped reading there.

Oh well ... not enough coffee when I posted, I presume.

- Carl

Gila Monster

Thanks for all the replys.....I guess I pay the $80 fine on this one and learn a lesson. Beware of any info on the Photo buster web site as being legal. FYI on the photo radar paint...This only works at night to deflict flash from the radar camera.

JETX

Gila Monster said:
FYI on the photo radar paint...This only works at night to deflict flash from the radar camera.
Not true.... at least not where I am from. The high-intensity light is one 24/7. They do NOT use a FLASH as that would blind and/or distract drivers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">