• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First MIP alcohol, but Cop put wrong addy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

goodUCstudent

What is the name of your state? - California

I go to UCSB, and last night i got a ticket for a minor in possession of alcohol. Two cops crashed a friends party and one cop saw me with a can in my hand and proceeded to write me a ticket. Its Halloween weekend and there are 3 times as many cops here, if you havent heard of the situation here then you have now. Its pretty intense, cops are giving $3000 tickets left and right to people who purchased kegs and furnished them to minors.

I have a few questions and comments about my violation

First, the cop wrote down the wrong address on my ticket. From researching traffic tickets, location errors can possibly be a fatal flaw on a ticket that might get the issue dismissed. The officer chekced for the address and wrote down the right number but the wrong street address.

Im not sure what other info you guys might need, but I wanted to know what I can do to either get rid of the ticket, or lessen my punishment.

CdwJava

Nope. Its not usually a fatal flaw.

The citation is for you, not your address. And your signature is your promise to appear and take care of the citation. You still have to deal with the issue whether the citation has your correct address or not.

Do what the rest of us do - stay away from college towns on Halloween! I spent a few in Isla Vista and Goleta and I know from my own experience that this is NOT the place to be this weekend ... at least for someone of my age. :cool:

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">