• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my "rights"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bitteumrat

What is the name of your state? all over-at the moment TN
Greetings,
Truly would appreciate advice about seamingly hopeless situation. Is there a spell check? Married in Colorado living with my son in TN. Separated (abandonend) from husband since Jan. this year. From my side many communications attempts per e mail. Hardly ever replies. Husband only provided pager number. Status of citizenship pending. Work permit got lost in bueraucracy channel. To make it short. I am forced to live with my son who is in the National Guards because I do not have a home. Am not able to sustain myself without work permit which is on it's way wherever. Have not received $1 Dollar since Jan. Had workpermit and worked since June this year and waiting since then for the new work permit which as mentioned got "lost". My question is, what are my husbands responsibilities towards me? Sounds naive, I know. The few responses I received from him is that he has no money, sleeps in a car, no job. But it came to my attention that he is renting a room somewhere, bought expensive digital camera equipment, a used Winnebago, a used BMW, scanner, printer etc. It also came to my attention that he is trying to start a company and apparently he found himself a "suggarwoman" helping him with all this. Apparently she or another woman gave him a 15.0000 line of credit. They are looking for properties to rent where he can run his business from. Photography and mechanic. I do not know if they are intimate.That is at the moment my least concern. Please, tell me what options do I have. I have absolutely no financial resources, therefore filing for divorce is out of the question. According to him he as well does not have the financial means to file for a divorce. I am sorry for this long, rather complicated letter. Should I be able to come up for the money for a divorce where shall I file? At the moment I do NOT have a permanent residency but will make it at my son's in TN. What am I able to do to make him fulfull his responsibilities. Thank you

vrzirn

He has no money. None you are likely to find, practically speaking. You have no money. I should think you would have guarded that work permit like gold. "Lost" sounds flimsy. Nevertheless, the fact he is relying upon the kindness of this stranger does not entitle you to any of her money.
At some point he may become wildly rich. Unlikely. It also appears this is a short-lived marriage. If Legal Aid cannot help, and they are probably too busy with really important cases, I suggest you use your free time and file the divorce papers yourself. Lots of "do-it-yourself " books out there and many forms on this site. Good luck.

Your on your own

bitteumrat said:
What is the name of your state? all over-at the moment TN
Greetings,
Truly would appreciate advice about seamingly hopeless situation. Is there a spell check? Married in Colorado living with my son in TN. Separated (abandonend) from husband since Jan. this year. From my side many communications attempts per e mail. Hardly ever replies. Husband only provided pager number. Status of citizenship pending. Work permit got lost in bueraucracy channel. To make it short. I am forced to live with my son who is in the National Guards because I do not have a home. Am not able to sustain myself without work permit which is on it's way wherever. Have not received $1 Dollar since Jan. Had workpermit and worked since June this year and waiting since then for the new work permit which as mentioned got "lost". My question is, what are my husbands responsibilities towards me? Sounds naive, I know. The few responses I received from him is that he has no money, sleeps in a car, no job. But it came to my attention that he is renting a room somewhere, bought expensive digital camera equipment, a used Winnebago, a used BMW, scanner, printer etc. It also came to my attention that he is trying to start a company and apparently he found himself a "suggarwoman" helping him with all this. Apparently she or another woman gave him a 15.0000 line of credit. They are looking for properties to rent where he can run his business from. Photography and mechanic. I do not know if they are intimate.That is at the moment my least concern. Please, tell me what options do I have. I have absolutely no financial resources, therefore filing for divorce is out of the question. According to him he as well does not have the financial means to file for a divorce. I am sorry for this long, rather complicated letter. Should I be able to come up for the money for a divorce where shall I file? At the moment I do NOT have a permanent residency but will make it at my son's in TN. What am I able to do to make him fulfull his responsibilities. Thank you

you are in a situation in which I would say has to completely depend on yourself. Your child is grown and is self-sustaining and there is no clear reason why there should be support to you. I can say this, but it will take time, you as a wife have rights, according to Co. laws to portions of property that was gained during your marriage. Although that might be a start, I think you earning your work permit back will be the greatest achievement you can accomplish in this situation.

LdiJ

vrzirn said:
He has no money. None you are likely to find, practically speaking. You have no money. I should think you would have guarded that work permit like gold. "Lost" sounds flimsy. Nevertheless, the fact he is relying upon the kindness of this stranger does not entitle you to any of her money.
At some point he may become wildly rich. Unlikely. It also appears this is a short-lived marriage. If Legal Aid cannot help, and they are probably too busy with really important cases, I suggest you use your free time and file the divorce papers yourself. Lots of "do-it-yourself " books out there and many forms on this site. Good luck.
SHE didn't physically lose her work permit...the government lost it and has to replace it. That isn't uncommon at all.

B

bitteumrat

Thank You

Yes, I know that my work permit situation sounds flimsy. The fact is that I have my work permit approved on paper but am waiting since Sept. 21 for the actual work permit to arrive. As I said it got LOST. If someone could be so kind and answer one more question for me. Since no reputable company will hire me wihout the actual work permit (card) in my hand and I am not able to sustain myself does my husband not have to support me financially at least until I receive my work permit, no matter how long that might take (it could take 3 months) I just like to survive and without working this is very difficult.
Of course my son is helping where he can but he has his own bills to pay. Filing for a divorce is not an option since I am not living the required 6 months as resident in this state or any other state. Thank you so much in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">