• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shop Lifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

weg98

What is the name of your state? New York

Just today I was caught shop lifting from a grocery store. The item was $3.99, I cooperated and was taken to the stores security room. They had not called the police, took all my license information, phone numbers, and ssn. They then issued me a civil demand notice of $75, in the store, and i agreed to that amount pay by signing it. They told me im allowed back into the store. I've already mailed the check to them

My question is, will anyone....future employers/parents/colleges be able to find out about this? Im 19 years old, and worried that they may either send something home (a receipt or court date) and that people may be able to find out about this...how do I stand at this point, anything to worry about?

racer72

The only thing you need to worry about now is your spelling. Shoplifting is one word, not two. And consider yourself lucky, most retailers are not that accomodating.

D

DreamKnight64

I don't know much about the court systems in New York, but if they don't report it to the police, then I think you should be safe.

I can't think of a good explanation as to why they asked for your ssn and other such stuff unless they were going to report it.

I think that you have nothing to worry about though, my only guess as to the last part is that they wanted to keep you on their records just in case you were to do it again?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">