• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protection from future debts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katsmeat

What is the name of your state? CA

I am in the UK and my husband is in California. We are not separated (yet) and I am here for family reasons right now. My husband wants to start a business and to do this will have to max out the credit cards in addition to any business loans he may get. I don't agree with this at all and am very uncomfortable about getting into any sort of debt. Is there any way I can protect myself from becoming in any way liable for any of these debts? Will legal separation afford me any protection? Does divorce offer protection? We have minimal assets and two children who are with me.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

katsmeat said:
What is the name of your state? CA

I am in the UK and my husband is in California. We are not separated (yet) and I am here for family reasons right now. My husband wants to start a business and to do this will have to max out the credit cards in addition to any business loans he may get. I don't agree with this at all and am very uncomfortable about getting into any sort of debt. Is there any way I can protect myself from becoming in any way liable for any of these debts? Will legal separation afford me any protection? Does divorce offer protection? We have minimal assets and two children who are with me.

My response:

Immediately filing and serving a Petition for Dissolution in California is your only avenue for protection. The Summons affords you an automatic Restraining Order to protect you from what he's contemplating doing. However, if he does this BEFORE you file, you're on the hook.

I foresee a plane trip to California in your immediate future.

IAAL

Dandy Don

Also ask your attorney about getting a disclaimer of debts in which you will eventually post a public notice in a newspaper that states you will not be responsible for the debts of your husband or his business.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Dandy Don said:
Also ask your attorney about getting a disclaimer of debts in which you will eventually post a public notice in a newspaper that states you will not be responsible for the debts of your husband or his business.

My response:

You really are an idiot, Dandy Stupid. Don't you think I would have mentioned that to our writer IF it was legal, and IF it would work? It may work in your podunk State, but it doesn't work in California. Stay off of California posts, okay? Let real experts, like myself, handle the California posts.

You're too much of an idiot to handle California questions.

IAAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">